12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Rebuilt Trans and still doing it...!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rebuilt Trans and still doing it...!

Hi guys I just had the trans rebuilt ... got it back and the converter they put in it was viberating ... they said they sent mine out and had it rebuilt ... I got the truck back today ... I just took it out for food and when I left the trans seemed to lose pressure ... I let off the pedal and it re-engauged ... Then it did it again ... then I put it in neutral for a few seconds , I figured the converter should have been filled ...I'm not running a check valve ... after that it was fine .
When they did the trans I was told the 3rd gear clutch pack seal was gone ... I will run the truck tomarrow and see if it happens again .
I can stand into the pedal and the trans hold great ...I am running an external trans filter ... could this filter be restricting the return flow and the trans running out of fluid...
The TPS is new ... any one ever have computer go bad ...I have spares of every thing .
If anyone has any thoughts feel free to hit me back .
Thanks
Greg
Old 02-24-2006, 11:39 AM

Smile It did not do it this morning ..

I'm really thinking its a cold weather thing ...I think that not having the check valve may also have something to do with it ...I'm going to change the filter on my external ...right now I'm running a 18 micron with a 25psi by pass mount ... I'm going with a 23 micron with a built in 20 psi by pass ...just in case the trans fluid when it cold has a hard time making it back to the pan .
After the truck warms up the truck runs and shifts great ...I ran it all morning with no problems ...
I have a gauge mounted on the side of the filter mount ... cold in neutral ...remember no fluid flows in park unless you have amodifide valvebody .
As I was saying in neutral cold 20 psi and after she's warmed up it's around 15 psi ...
The whole reason for the external filter ... I was entending to run amsoil ...I did not want to have to drop the pan every time to change the stock filter ...it's still in there , but with amsoil they say it's good for 100,000miles
Hope this works

Later guys

Greg
Old 02-24-2006, 11:46 AM

slow down...and tell us what exactly is happening...im confused...u had a tranny with a vibrating TC and had it rebuilt and now its slipping so ur having it rebuilt again?....ive only had one cup of coffee
Old 02-24-2006, 01:07 PM

Smile Re:Trans

I posted a few weeks ago about a viberating converter ... I should have just ordered a suncoast trans ...LOL
They pulled the trans for a second time and had my old converter rebuilt and they put that back in ... it was fine .
The reason for the trans rebuild was the 3rd gear clutch pack seal was bad ...I was lossing pressure .
The same condition accured last night , I pulled out of a parking lot and the same thing happened ... it free wheeled , no clutch pressure , I put in neutral for 10 seconds ...it was back in action .
I drove the truck all day today and it's been holding all day ... the trans feels fine ...I even beat on it a little to see if she would hold ...it did .
The only thing I could think is I'm not letting the converter fill , or possibly the external filter I installed is restricting the flow , thats why I am going to try a more flowing filter ...
I ordered a few different ones , one is a baldwin 349 , that has a anti-back flow built into the filter and also dose not filter over 20psi .
I'm going to try that before I remove the external system I put on the truck .
Sorry about all the useless info ...LOL
Greg
Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 PM

u must be in a massive rush in the mornings huh...as soon as the engine catches ur in drive arent ya ....im actually surprised that ur TC isnt filling in park..most of the time when folks get a rebuild the shop add a drain plug to the TC and do a couple mods so u can fill and circulate the tc with fluid while in park

glad to see things are working though
Old 02-24-2006, 02:25 PM

Smile You got the wrong guy .

Hey Mr.T ...I'm that lets my turcks warm up ...I just wake up the neighbours with the open stack ...LOL
Like I said I have regrets spending that money ...and not get getting the suncoast ... I have a year warranty , the thing was the guy built great tranys ...what you pay for is what you get .
I am a retired wrench , I'm far from the weekend wench ...I did this for 20 yrs ...I was a ford guy thats seen the light ...I'm just having a bad week ...LOL
Later
Greg
Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM

Smile Me Again

Well I put the new external filter ...I prefilled the filter ... I went to check the trans fluid ... running in neutral ...it was 2 1/2 quarts low ...Duhh
I just got that back last night ...would you think after putting a new converter you would check the fluid level .
Later
Greg
Old 02-24-2006, 04:41 PM

aha!!! u were a ford guy!! that explains a few things sorry...u walked right into that
Old 02-24-2006, 05:46 PM

Smile

There's no suck thing as a stupid question ... And yes I did ...LOL
I have been running her around since last I posted ... she seems very happy with the proper fluid level ...
Later
Greg