12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Rear Axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Axle problems

Hi all,

Problems: fluid leak from passenger side axle. Excessive noise when driving (seemingly from rear brakes)

History: fluid leaking from either the pass. side drums or the axle. There is fluid leaking down my tire, and the brake assembly is coated. Initially I thought it was from the axle seal at the axle flange, but there isn't any fluid draining from there. It looks as if it's leaking from between the hub (where the wheel studs are mounted) and the backing plate of the drums. I can't figure out how to remove the hub to investigate. My brake fluid level is high, so I know it's not a leaky brake line, and it smells like diff fluid. Any ideas?

The "brake" noise happens while I'm accelerating, and it sounds like repetative metal on metal rubbing noise (not grinding like you would hear if your disc pads were worn to metal), and it's evident on both sides. It looks like the shoes and springs have been done in the last couple months as the shoes are almost as thick as the new ones I bought today. To add to this, the lock up on my torque converter seems to kick out when the transmission shifts to OD, which led me to believe that my brakes were dragging, causing the lockup to disengage...apparently not the case.

Anyway, I'm completely stumped. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. My trouble-shooting skills are minimal, and my haynes manual is only good for rags to clean off with.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM

noise

I'm currently replacing my entire rear axle as I let that "metal on metal" sound go too long. Bearing races ate into my housing making it impossible to rebuild. I would suggest taking it in to get checked out before you are in my position. Might be able to rebuild a back end before you have to replace it. I've done a few brake jobs on mine in the back and cannot think of anything there that would make that noise if your shoes still have some thickness to them. Only other thing I can think of is wheel bearings, but that is more of a squealling noise from my experience. My back end sounded like there was a sheet metal flange rubbing on a drive shaft, I wish it were brakes.

Another thought: leaking diff fluid might indicate problems in the diff. Mine did. I'd take it in and get a diagnosis unless you know more than I do about differentials. I was quoted 1500 for a used axle swap. I know nothing about differentials but I do have the skills to bolt on a junk yard axle which is what I'm doing now.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Thanks siebertl...I will be replacing the pass. side rear axle seal and both sets of shoes this weekend...most likely going to popping the cover off my diff afterwards to inspect. I'll keep you posted.

On a side note, how did you plug your wastegate? Any pics?