12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Proud new owner of a 12v, now lets mod this thing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size plate do you guys recommend with my modifications that will be transmission friendly...at least for now? I am going to do the 3k or 4k GSK also. I was thinking #10, but what combination of other things should I do to the pump? What changes the plate full foward and what do you guys set the air fuel control at in respect to the other variances?

-Dustin-
Old 07-24-2007, 09:44 PM

you can tell if torque converter has been upgraded by how many RPM engine drops after lockup.

stock TC slips through all gears. engine will drop aprox 1,000 rpm upon lockup when going about 55 mph accelerating briskly.

an aftermarket TC like a triple disc TC, will slip less between gears. so when lockup occurs, engine will barely drop RPM.

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri;
Picked it up today and drove it 8 hours home [Yea there were no 12v's anywhere near me] I seems to already have modded. It has what looks like a 4" SS MRBP exhaust with 5" tip. And it pulls like a raped ape for a stock 12v!? It also has an Mag-tech or whatever tranny pan, which makes me thing that it might have a converter or something?! All I know is that it has more ***** than my Duramax ever did and I have got to figure out whats been done. The turbo whistles nicely, it gives up a plume of smoke on the start up, and when under load at highway speeds definately smokes.

Any way to see if the 3k has already been done? How about what a stock coverter looks like compared to aftermarket? Is there an inspection cover on the tranny?

Thanks fellas. I had more fun in a 8 hour drive with my Cummins that I did with the Duramax for a year.

-Dustin-
Old 07-25-2007, 01:23 AM

It's always like that. People say you can get $15k for a truck, but when it comes down to it they're like no way man!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
What size plate do you guys recommend with my modifications that will be transmission friendly...at least for now? I am going to do the 3k or 4k GSK also. I was thinking #10, but what combination of other things should I do to the pump? What changes the plate full foward and what do you guys set the air fuel control at in respect to the other variances?

-Dustin-
Go with the #10 and get the 3kgsk. Drive the truck stock for a month so then you'll have a greater appreciation for the mods. The gsk makes the throttle a lot more sensitive. So if it's hard to keep the rpms at say 1700 steady while in park, then chances are that the previous owner already did the mod. Also, stock wastegate is set at about 17 psi. So if you boost more than that, then the fuel plate was modded.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Well I definately think its a stock converter. Althought the trans does have the Mag hytec deep pan, so hopefully it was rebuilt recently.

I really want to grind my own plate and do the GSK. Does anyone think that the #100 would be too much? Maybe its my performance thinking, but it seems much easier to grind it flat Of course EGT's will run a bit higher, but what about the transmission? I dont do any hard launches just driving 10 minutes a day to work and wanting to roll a bit of smoke here and here. I am probably a few months away from getting a Suncoast.

Should I adjust the AFC if I do a plate or should I leave it where it is? Should I adjust it with the stock plate at all? I would think that there would be a recommedation on where it should be in relation to what plate you run. It does smoke a bit on start up, I was thinking that was the AFC...

Thanks.

-Dustin-