12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

problem after South Bend Clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem after South Bend Clutch install

I had Huckstorf Diesel outside of Milwaukee install me a con fe clutch today. All was well when I left, but after a 50mi cruise home, I noticed when at stoplights and when accelerating under a load of sorts up to 1500rpm (say accelerating up a hill) it sounds like it's like im very lightly grinding the gears, even though I'm in the gear and not shifting. The shop said slip the clutch a bit to wear it in for a few days, but that just doesnt sound right. At that, they said drive it a few days and see how it goes. My only guess is that the trans could use a bit more adjustment to allow greater release of the clutch.

I know nothing about this, so i bring it to y'all to throw some thoughts out there. I fully plan on being back in the shop in next week having them check the clutch.

At that, this thing HOLDS! I had the stocker which held L, 1, and 2 well with my mods but 3, and 4 slipped like none other. Once I get this sorted out, I'll be golden

Thanks guys
Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats what mine sounded like at first, it's like a grinding sound that I wasn't sure about when u kinda lug it and stuff, but it just needs to break in for some miles. Mine took about 500 miles to finnally be smooth and quiete. Hope that helps
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 AM

that gives me some hope. This is my first stick vehicle I've owned for a long while, so I've never experienced a clutch replacement. I love how the clutch handles my power so far. So far I've racked up nearly 80mi so maybe I'll give it some time.

If anyone else had the same response, let me know.. and I'll let it ride longer. I'm totally loving a clutch that can handle the 3rd and 4th gear power tho!

Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 PM

Mine was the same way. I think it is becous the springs in te center are more stiff and transmit the sound threw the drive train more than the stock one untill it gets settled in. South Bend wants you to get about 200miles on it befor you get too wild. I have about 600miles on mine and after 200 I realy wanted to see what it would do so at about 300 I stoped and put it in second with 3.54 gears Power Lock and 33" BFG M/T's put the peddle to the floor and it made about 10 lbs of boost and dumped the clutch. The tires started smoking instantly and did till I let off of it. I usualy dont like to do burnouts becous these M/T's cost to much to waste but I was very inpressed becous there was no bounsing or slipping. The first 18miles I put on it was pulling a 24ft inclosed work trailer to town so that my boss could take it from there. I was realy carefull not to slip it but its great now. I had the first 300miles within the first 24 hours of installing it. I drive a lot. It was real easy to install and I have only good things to say about it so far.