12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Priming the oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priming the oil pump?

I have an engine that has been sitting for a few years. I can't get any oil into the pump. I tried cranking the motor with 2 batteries in parrallel to get it spinning good. I took off the oil pan and pick up tube and checked for suction at the motor inlet port, but i had no suction. I also tried filling the oil filter until oil came out the oil pressure sendin unit hole. Is there something I am forgetting??
Old 11-21-2002, 12:09 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Priming the oil pump?

These are gerotor design pumps and must be lubed at the pump to be tight enough to make a seal.<br><br>Sometimes you can lube the oil pump by injecting oil down the turbo oil line, but not always.<br><br>If you spun the engine over dry, I would suspect the pump is scored. So would do the following:<br><br>Pull your timing gear case cover and pull the pump and check it for excessive clearances. <br><br>Gerotor to planetary tip is .007&quot; max. This is the measurement from the tip of the four lobed rotor to the highest point on the body of the five pocketed planetary.<br><br>Gerotor planetary to body clearance is .015&quot; max. This is the total space on the outside of the planetary to the pump case.<br><br>Gerotor to back plate clearance is .005&quot; max. This is done by using a straightedge across the back of the open pump, and measuring between the 4 lobed rotor and the straightedge.<br><br>If you see any scoring, rust, or pitting, replace the pump! Do not even attempt to use it.<br><br>If it is clean and within tolerances, fill it with oil, reinstall the back cover and put it back in the engine. The oil will run out, as the back cover is not sealed, but just holds the rotor and planetary in the pump case. Use 50 wt oil, or your regular oil and some STP, and it will be enough to prime the thing.<br><br>If you are new to Cummins, be sure to check the dowel pin located up and to the inside of the timing gear to the cam. Be sure it is fully seated and staked to keep from falling out of the aluminum gear case. It would be a bummer to have it fall out and cook your engine after you had it apart.<br><br>While you are at it, and before you put the gear case cover back on, mark #1 TDC rolling the engine forward and by rolling backwards. You will have two marks on the damper when you are done. It will save you a ton of time and effort some day when you have the injection pump timed.