12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Pre-purchase inspection - 96 2500 auto 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-purchase inspection - 96 2500 auto 4WD?

Hi all,
I put a down-payment on a 96 2500 auto 4WD with low miles on the weekend, and the original owner has offered to pay for the mechanical and safety inspection (at the garage where he's had it serviced for several years, who have what looks like a comprehensive 300 point inspection). Following the inspection, we'll re-negotiate the selling price based on what the truck needs now, or may need in the near future.

The truck felt tight and drove well when test driving it at highway speeds, no indication of unusual tire wear, knocking or other noises and vibration, but there's only so much I could focus on in the drive. The transmission seemed to shift smoothly and the OD worked well (it's a 4.10 diff ratio). The truck was mostly used to tow a 5th wheel during its life, and occasionally use around town.

I couldn't engage the 4-Low when test-driving it (probably has never been put in that mode before so might need lubrication) so would want to make sure that works in case I need it.

I assume that I shouldn't need to worry about getting the engine tested out (ie. compression test etc), it only has 60,000 miles? There didn't appear to be excessive blow-by from the road-tube underneath when it was idling after the road test, and no overheating indications. Interestingly, the seller told me he needed to get the IP replaced ($$$) some years ago, which I found unusual in a low-mileage truck, and which I hope isn't indicative of improper maintenance (fuel filter and sedimenter).

I'll be focusing on front end, axles, suspension and brakes issues/costs, in the inspection report. Those seem to be the big-ticket repair items from what I have read (in addition to engine and tranny obviously, but as I said, those seem to work fine, reflective of low mileage).

Anything else I should pay particular attention to, drive-train wise, to avoid costly surprises early in my ownership?

Thanks!

Last edited by rstl99; 11-01-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: correction
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Wow! Sounds like a great truck. At only 60,000 miles, the truck didn't get driven much. I would check it over well for corrosion and dryrot, but otherwise, I would look at it as a 14 year old truck, not a 60,000 miles truck. Even with the low mileage, expect and look for the normal issues with a 2nd gen truck. Rust in the bottoms of the doors, front end, abs/brake lights on, transmissions issues. To be honest, if it were me, barring any major issues that stand out, I would scarf such a low mileage truck up, and deal with the normal stuff when it comes along. No matter what you drive, there will be things to fix- no vehicle is perfect. You have learned a lot about Dodges, and have a fantastic resource here. The fact that the owner is willing to have an inspection, and even pay for it, shows that he probably has nothing to hide, and has taken care of the truck.
My 94 had an injection pump go out early in its life, and has had no issues since it was replaced. Even the 7100 can fail early- it just doesn't happen often. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
I really hope this works out for you- it sounds like a good truck, at first glance.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hodge
Wow! Sounds like a great truck. At only 60,000 miles, the truck didn't get driven much. I would check it over well for corrosion and dryrot, but otherwise, I would look at it as a 14 year old truck, not a 60,000 miles truck. Even with the low mileage, expect and look for the normal issues with a 2nd gen truck. Rust in the bottoms of the doors, front end, abs/brake lights on, transmissions issues. To be honest, if it were me, barring any major issues that stand out, I would scarf such a low mileage truck up, and deal with the normal stuff when it comes along. No matter what you drive, there will be things to fix- no vehicle is perfect. You have learned a lot about Dodges, and have a fantastic resource here. The fact that the owner is willing to have an inspection, and even pay for it, shows that he probably has nothing to hide, and has taken care of the truck.
My 94 had an injection pump go out early in its life, and has had no issues since it was replaced. Even the 7100 can fail early- it just doesn't happen often. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
I really hope this works out for you- it sounds like a good truck, at first glance.
Thanks Hodge, I hope this works out too.
The PO used it to pull a 5th wheel out west (where a daughter lives) and down east a few times. Says 80% of the mileage was highway, pulling the camper. Rest is occasional use in the city. Took it out once a month in the winter to limber things up. I haven't seen the maintenance records yet, but assume that good PM was done (I'll check for that, anyway - fuel filter, tranny filter, etc.).

As you say, owner willing to get the mechanical/safety check done is a good sign. Will see what the garage comes up with, that may allow me to negotiate the price down a bit more. Tires showed cracks between the threads, so are probably age-worn. Not sure the emergency brake was working. No major rust issues, underneath the axles, shocks, brake backing plates all have surface rust on them due to occasional exposure to salt. Garage should check condition of brake lines as part of the safety check.

As you say, no vehicle is perfect. My other 4x4, which I will sell if I get the Dodge, is a 92 Toyota Land Cruiser diesel 5spd wagon. Rare on these shores, came from Europe. But I want to carry a truck camper and the LC can't do that (plus the Dodge will be more comfortable for long highway runs). Toyotas are recognized as very reliable, and the LC is reputed to be as tough as they come, but the records show that mine required a new clutch and transmission at 110,000, and the PO needed to spend over $2000 getting front axle issues sorted out before selling it. It has about 140,000 miles now and will need some work at some point too, no doubt. Parts aren't cheap for those either!!

I'll post back once the inspection has been done and I've had the second talk with the seller.
Cheers.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 AM

On our 94 dodge it's only got 86,000 on it right now last year the IP went out because the cylinders weren't perfectly circular and would catch. if he had it fixed properly it should be fine. It seems for the most part that that only happened on 94 and 95's but if it was fixed good it should be as good as new.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Update post-inspection

Thanks Montana, I suppose there are (hopefully) rare instances where the IP needs to be replaced on these, for reasons other than wear or misuse.

Have not seen the inspection report yet nor spoken to the mechanic. However the owner emailed me to tell me that all it needed for the safety certificate was replacement of a worn tie rod end (no big deal) and repair a couple of small holes in the passenger floor. That second one worries me more. Having searched the forum, I gather that water getting into the cab is a common issue on 2nd Gens, with AC drain, third brake light, and sliding window (there is one on this truck) being usual suspects.

Sigh, looks like I'm going to have to take care of some rust and rust prevention issues if I buy this truck... There is already a good covering of rust on the front and rear axles, springs, brake backing plates, etc. The rest of the chassis underneath looked ok, so I gather that the cab floor rust must have originated from water ingress.

I'll be talking to the seller later today, having a look at his maintenance records. I want to make sure that the regular maintenance has been done on this truck (fuel filters, transmission filter and band adjustment, coolant changes).

The tires showed come age cracking between the threads, and the garage didn't seem to think they needed replacement. I may try to talk the price down a bit on that, since I'll likely replace the tires before heading out on a big trip (since they're showing signs of ageing wear).