12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Please Help 5th gear went out on hwy today

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please Help 5th gear went out on hwy today

Please Help 5th gear went out on hwy today
I was driving about 70 mph on interstate with no trailer maybe 2-300 pounds in box driving 5th gear earlier I heard some rattling, then later I was driving and all of a sudden rpms dropped and nothing in 5th 1,2,3,4th still work fine, I'm guessing the 5th gear nut came off no grinding sounds where heard I have just over 163,000 miles I have had it about 2 months had 152,000 when I got it out of texas. I have read I can do it while the tranny is in and I would prefer right now cause I need to get it back on the road. does anyone have digrams or links or any info on taking care of this or is it too late because gear is already off? also where could I get a part DC or part store or what preferably local so I can get it right away.
TIA please help it is emergency.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you want the repair to last you really should buy an up grade kit from these guys-
http://www.standardtransmission.com/Specialtyitems.html
Old 05-02-2004, 09:04 AM

I got one yest. at dc it is the set screw type w/ washer and red loc-tite $47. what I am wondering is it said if my gear already came off the instructions say I need to replace gear?? I can't til;l monday and I need to have it on the road by monday. does anyone know if I h=need to remove the transfer case?
BTW it is snowing right now here on MAY 2nd darn wisconsin dusting on the ground and coming down pretty good for the last hour maybe. just my luck and I have to work on it outside, yeah
Old 05-02-2004, 04:57 PM

Angry 5th gear

My 5th gear came of on the freeway. It can be fixed in the truck if a 4x4 you have to pull the t case off, You have to pull the rear cover of the transmission this is wear 5th gear is,You will want to get the new style nut. The guy at the dealer said if the gear slides on and off the the splines real is easy you have to change the shaft and gear. There is also a better style shaft and gear avalible to repair this problem, but you have to pull the tranny down to replace the shaft. Any way my gear slide off easy I cleaned the parts good and added red loctite to the gear and the nut, also borrowed the tools from the dealer to tighten the nut I think it is around 375 ft lbs it has to be realy tight. I have not had any trouble since. good luck
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 PM

well have it down to transfer case out and 5 of the 8 bolts on tail end cover loose and out 3 are to stubborn and one at least is stripped any ideas how to get the stripped bolt out? I might just drop tranny and take it somewhere to have bolts removed but then I would have to get together the money for a clutch since I would have it out? anyone have ideas?? TIA
Old 05-04-2004, 09:37 AM

Lightbulb bolts

Is it the bolts that hold the rear cover on the tranny.? the smaller 12 point ones? Did they strip the head of the bolts, My truck did, I had to weld nuts to the heads of the stripped bolts to get them out, Ugly job!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:48 AM
DRD

There are sockets available that are fluted on the ID, almost like an EZ out that may grab the heads. Sears, SnapOn etc carry 'em.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:29 PM

well stripped bolts equaled taking tranny out to get bolts taken out at the shop decided I will replace clutch fingers looked pretty worn some heat scarring on the plate and flywheel, plus while its out I will replace instead of going through it again soon. going to replace slave to not from dc though they wanted $340+ went to bumper to bumper and $65 sounded much better and it the same sealed unit. have to find a clutch asap though like get it by tommorrow fast. anybady have any 2 cents or advice let me know
Old 05-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by jaconst
I got one yest. at dc it is the set screw type w/ washer and red loc-tite $47. what I am wondering is it said if my gear already came off the instructions say I need to replace gear?? I can't til;l monday and I need to have it on the road by monday. does anyone know if I h=need to remove the transfer case?
BTW it is snowing right now here on MAY 2nd darn wisconsin dusting on the ground and coming down pretty good for the last hour maybe. just my luck and I have to work on it outside, yeah
What is the DC part number for the set screw 5th gear nut. I replace mine last year with part #05013887AA which is the split nut. I use the loctite that came with it an staked the lip 8 time and it still didn't hold.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:23 PM
RCW

I am also curious about the DC part number. I got a dance from them as late as two weeks ago, and all they had was the split one that they tried to foist off on me for about $80.

Regarding 5th gear. DC does it the hard way. You can reach through the PTO cover and work the gear back on the shaft. If it slides back and forth just fine you are good to go. If it binds, then the shaft is likely torqued or the gear tweaked, then it is change time. Getting it back on the shaft sometimes takes a bit of patience, but it is worth the try.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:12 PM

MCB56
thats the same part number I took the tranny into my diesel shop on account of stripping the tailshaft cover bolts they removed them I also brought the tools I was allowed to borrow from Dodge dealer I bought the part from they let me borrow for $100 deposit. anyways took nut and tools and they removed case bolts that were stripped and put fifth back on said looked good and they torqued on the nut to 300 ft pounds like the tsb said from dodgeram.org and they applied lock-tite and seems good so far but I am now fixing my from bearing assembly and brakes as they were bad too.
good luck any more questions I'll try and help
also they have a whole fifth gear shaft you can replace which corrects the problem all together I think DT has them but not sure go to links and look under transmission links
Old 05-22-2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by jaconst
MCB56
thats the same part number I took the tranny into my diesel shop on account of stripping the tailshaft cover bolts they removed them I also brought the tools I was allowed to borrow from Dodge dealer I bought the part from they let me borrow for $100 deposit. anyways took nut and tools and they removed case bolts that were stripped and put fifth back on said looked good and they torqued on the nut to 300 ft pounds like the tsb said from dodgeram.org and they applied lock-tite and seems good so far but I am now fixing my from bearing assembly and brakes as they were bad too.
good luck any more questions I'll try and help
also they have a whole fifth gear shaft you can replace which corrects the problem all together I think DT has them but not sure go to links and look under transmission links
I went to my local Dodge dealer and all they had was the split nut. The woman did everything she could to cross reference it and said they had the latest nut. Will try another dealer.