12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Oil filler cap went missing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil filler cap went missing.

I topped off my oil alittle while ago, and was checking my filter etc just now and noticed the oil filler cap wasnt there . I think I forgot to put it back on and i've been driving since then without the cap on. I searched and it was sitting down on the steering box. Checked the oil and it looked good and level so......Should I have noticed anything with the cap off while driving? lol.... Could it have rattled out though? Because I don't think i'd forget to put the cap back on just after topping the oil off..
Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It happens to the best of us. I really cant imagine it rattling out. I mean, it could have happened but I cant imagine someone threading the cap on so lightly that it might rattle off.

Hope you haven't been driving down and dusty roads lately.

One time my dad was bar-b-quing and he pulled the truck (02 D-max)up to the grill so he could listen to the radio and cook at the same time. While grilling he decided to pop the hood and check the oil and ended up using the large piece of plastic over the radiator as a table.

Well...after a long evening of cooking fajitas and a few cold ones, he closed the hood and went to bed.

A few weeks later we were checking the oil again and there was a 14inch BBQ fork stuck between the radiator cover and hood.

Wasn't quite expecting that
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thankfully it's been wet so the roads aren't dusty, and i haven't driven my truck much this last week. I'm just thankful the cap was still in the engine bay so I didn't have to wait and get one.

I've left tools in the engine bay and found them a couple week later, but no bbq forks, haha. I guess its my truck telling me it's time for a oil change, it's been about 4k since the last one, and she gets what she wants/needs, lol.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, when we got our truck, it was so hungry for attention it started giving me tools! Nifty little pair of pliers stuffed beside the relay box, NICE little Snap-On 7/16 combination wrench in behind the drivers side battery, what a treat.

These trucks have so many handy places to lay tools and parts, it's amazing there aren't more things left in there.

Did a rush fuel filter change Sunday - hubby wanted to take her over the hill to deliver a piece of equipment in Spokane, and when I checked the oil I saw OOPS lotsa fuel dripping off the filter and sump valve..... It turned out to be not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, though getting the (wrong) filter wrench in there was a pain.

Did the oil change while I was at it - man, I am going to HAVE to buy the recommended strap wrench to fit a 3/8 drive ratchet. Managed to use the stiff-legged one to get the oil filter off, but once I got the new filter screwed back on, no WAY was that wrench going to come off the filter. Ended up taking the turbo tube off at the housing to get clearance..... That's OK, I like buying tools
I love this truck
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I had a Jetta that would die if the dipstick or oil cap was off. It has been pretty wet around here so you're probably ok. I can't imagine the cap working loose, mines pretty stiff. Dumb Kurt, age about 17, dropped the hood of his GTO on a 1/2" socket drive on the aircleaner right after 1800 in paint. Fortunately it dented the air cleaner lid instead of the hood. Took two days to discover what I'd done, couldn't find my 1/2" drive, cold realization hit and I remember running down to open the hood...SURPRISE! 1/2" where I left it, oil filler cap not there. Nothing hurt but pride. Slightly less Dumb Kurt, age forty one, lost wallet. Retrace steps to jobsite, oh yeah, checked oil on level spot, answered phone, got info out of wallet, set on drivers battery. Oil level good, shut hood, drive around town all afternoon. Wallet found where left after citywide search. What was this thread about? Ha Ha.