12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

NV4500 conversion done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up NV4500 conversion done!

Well after a whole mess getting all the parts together, it's finally done! I finished last night, and then the truck wouldn't start. After about 2 hours of priming, it fired up and purred right along. I went through the front end with parts, new radiator/fan clutch, a used 5spd with a new case (unit I received had a crack, so I swapped the cases) and new bearings all around.

What a difference! It really is amazing to get all the power to the ground all the time. Granted, I would rather have a built auto, but this was about half the price and I just bought a 27' camper. I went with a single disc 12.25" full ceramic valair clutch which I am very impressed with so far, and along with a stock master/slave setup the pedal is much lighter than I expected. It definetly is not the fastest off the line compared to an auto, but I'm ready to throw some weight behind it now!

One of the best parts was the entire 5 spd trans from bell housing to transfer case flange was only about an inch shorter, so I was able to use the stock driveshafts. I still have a few odds and ends to work out, like the reverse lights which I had a problem with before, finding a decent looking shift boot setup until I can afford the stock piece with cupholders. The $7 dollar jobbers screwed to the floor works for now. Oh and the little gearshift pattern button for the ****, that drives me nut!

Anyway, just letting you all know that if you are on the fence about either rebuilding or swapping out the auto, here's another vote for swapping out the slush box. It really wasn't hard to do, and all the parts are on ebay fairly frequently. Here's a quick list of what I needed to get:

-Trans- I got a used setup that came with bellhousing, tailhousing, shifter with boots, mount that bolts to the same auto rubber isolator, and clutch fork. Not sure if it was supposed to come with all that, but I won't tell!
-Clutch pedal- Got the whole big bracket with all three pedals on ebay for $80, just take out the seat, lay down, and pull the pin that holds the brake pedal in. Replace with new pin and pedals, and done.
-Input shaft for NP241 t-case- very easy to install, another ebay product.
-Various seals and bearings, while your in there. I had to pull a few bearings to pull the shafts out of the old broken case, so I figured I'd change em all.
-Flywheel- napa special, had to get longer bolts from dodge at a mere $7 per...ouch.
-Clutch, as mentioned above.

I think thats about it. I'm going to go waste some $3 a gallon fuel now to break the clutch in..... ya thats it.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you think that you have, total, in the conversion? Parts, not labor.