12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

noise coming from fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise coming from fuel tank

VERY ignorant question, but please forgive me as i just bought the truck

With the engine running, there is a very noticible ticking noise coming from the stock fuel tank. Tough to describe, but it is a pulsing noise that sounds a little like a fuel pump...

Not sure if it is a fuel pump sound as I didn't think there was one in the tank, I know i have a lot to learn!

Also sounds like it could possibly be a fuel line restriction or something.

Any ideas? Is this sound normal? Is there a pump in the tank?

I am looking to buy a fuel pressure gauge as it would help me in this situation.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound is normal. The tick from the fuel pump is the return fuel coming to tank. Depending on the health of your overflow valve, this tick can be quite loud. I hear it all the time..

Here is a site to bookmark..

http://www.dodgeram.org

Has lots of information for the RAM and the Cummins.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM

The louder the better? If the overflow valve isn't performing as advertised, what would be the symptom? Noise? Thanks for the confirmation. I feel much better!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 PM

I just installed a fuel pressure gauge and I'm showing a little low. Could a weak overflow valve be the culprit to both the sound and the low pressure?
I just hooked up my boost and fuel pressure gauges from Isspro and had a couple of questions.

Below is a quote of a question I asked in another thread that may give more clues.

Thanks,

Clark

"I'm only seeing around 20 PSI boost if I get into the pedal real good. Is this low? What should a stock truck be getting on boost? (97 12 valve)

Second, my fuel pressure guage is around 18 psi at idle in the morning but when the engine is warm drops to around 14 or 15 psi. This is lower than the specs I have seen somewhere. I replaced the fuel filter and it didn't help. Also, it doesn't go much above 20 when under load. Any deas? Ive seen a trouble shooting checklist floating around but cant seem to find it now."
_______
Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Chapter President

Clark,

Those pressures are low for both your boost and fuel pressure. But they will be related as your fuel pressure drops, so does the power.

Overflow valve check, pinch off the rubber return line from the injector pump. There are two rubber lines on the rear of the engine, one is the fuel feed to the lift pump the other is the return to tank. If your fuel pressure jumps up by pinching that line, then your Overflow valve is shot. If not, then your lift pump is probably going.

Stock boost should be around 23 psi mark.

Dodgeram.org has the specs on fuel pressure, boost and troubleshooting tips.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the tip! I went out this evening and tried clamping the return line and my fuel pressure increased from 14 psi to 30 psi! Guess I need a new overflow valve.

Where's the best place to buy one of these? I don't have a cummins dealer near me. Will the dodge dealer carry these?

Is it ok to still drive the truck in the meantime?

Thanks,

Clark
Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
You will be fine to drive for now, fostertruck.com is as good as any place to buy one.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I went out this evening and tried clamping the return line and my fuel pressure increased from 14 psi to 30 psi!
That indicates a bad lift pump, not an OFV.
Pressure should have spiked up to at least 60 psi when you pinched the line.
It could also be a fuel supply restriction like a plugged filter or kinked hose.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

I'll try it again, but I didn't clamp the line completley as I was affraid to send the pressures too high.

I clamped it about half way which sent the pressures to 30 psi, I then gave it a little throttle and they jumped to 45.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Chapter President

Sounds like the lift pump is fine to me. Just a weak OFV. Ordering from Fostertruck or I have been looking at these to replace mine here very soon.

http://www.torkteknology.com/product...VE-OFV010.html
Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks guys, I just went out and tried it again. Pegged the gauge at 60 psi at idle with vise grips. Thanks for all you patience and insight.

Clark
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the lead Lil Dog. I called Tork Tek and talked to the owner and he guided me to the following valve. He was great to talk to!

http://www.torkteknology.com/product...VE-OFV020.html

It is similar to the one you were looking at other than it has a upgraded valve and seal. 4 dollars more at $48.95.

Called Cummins and they want $247.15 for theirs.

Thanks,

Clark
Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Chapter President

Good call on that one. With the new mandates around my area for 5% bio fuel blends and that I run a friends biodiesel once and while makes sense to get that one. Very Cool!!

For comparison, I got my last one about 4 years ago from the local Bosch injection shop, $95.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Called Cummins and they want $247.15 for theirs.
Amazing.
Back in the late '90s when there weren't many aftermarket parts sources for our engines I bought OFVs many times from Cummins NW, $62 each.
Is inflation that bad or did they quote you the wrong price?
I can see Dodge charging that much but not Cummins.

BTW Larry B now carries the TorkTeck OFV.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM

It's possible that he quoted the wrong price, but he did confirm the part via location and description. Part # 3963595

I was surprised at how hard it was to get price quotes. I don't have a Cummins dealer near me so I call sever truck dealers (Pete, Kenworth, etc) and they all took forever and kept quoting me 8 dollars for a check valve on on or near the fuel filter. None of them could come up with the correct part for some reason. I gave them my engine serial and everything.

I called cummins in Salt Lake City and dealt with a very nice guy. It also took him half a day to find the part. I was skeptical by then so I had him verify there on the pump, etc.

For as much as people mention OFV's on here, I would have thought these parts guys would have known. what I was asking for.

Thanks again for all the help, hope it does the trick when it gets here.

Clark

Just googled the part number and this came up.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...low-valve.html

Quick Reply: noise coming from fuel tank