12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Newb NV4500 swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb NV4500 swap issues

Got my trans in, and after allot of snooping finally found a shifter for it. Now that I have the shifter in the thing only feels like it has 4 gears, does the inside of that thing look right to you guys??

I also have no idea on which 2 wired are the ones for the reverse light, I have the adapter but don't know which wires to splice in.

Any help for a retard is apreciated
Attached Thumbnails Newb NV4500 swap issues-img_20110629_163524.jpg   Newb NV4500 swap issues-img_20110629_163707.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Shifter top looks fine from memory, try manually moving the forks with a screwdriver/bar etc. (don't force it too hard in case something is jammed up) but remember that far right is 1-2 (rear, forwards), middle is 3-4, and the left set is 5-R. Try rocking the output shaft back and forth with the clutch in if they won't go into gear easy. Is the trans used from a donor truck?

For the reverse lights, there should be 2 old connectors from the auto. The 3 wire connector from the neutral-safety/reverse is the one you want, and the outter 2 wires on the connector should be your reverse switch. Try jumping them out with something like a paper clip and see if you have reverse light before you splice anything in because it's been a while. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by gorms
Shifter top looks fine from memory, try manually moving the forks with a screwdriver/bar etc. (don't force it too hard in case something is jammed up) but remember that far right is 1-2 (rear, forwards), middle is 3-4, and the left set is 5-R. Try rocking the output shaft back and forth with the clutch in if they won't go into gear easy. Is the trans used from a donor truck?

For the reverse lights, there should be 2 old connectors from the auto. The 3 wire connector from the neutral-safety/reverse is the one you want, and the outter 2 wires on the connector should be your reverse switch. Try jumping them out with something like a paper clip and see if you have reverse light before you splice anything in because it's been a while. Good luck.
Remember that with the shifter out, you have lost a lot of leverage to shift gears, so you will be required to put forth some force. If it gets to the point of requiring a hammer, thats the time to call it quits. Whate gears does it feel like you are missing?

Like was said about the wiring, the two outside wires is for the reverse lights, the middle wire is the neutral safety switch. Ground that one.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 PM

It's 3-4 that dont work. Yea the truck is out of a donor truck.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to see what I can do today
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM

So I figured out the problem with the trans, the ball in the end of the shifter I got seems like it's too wide, and when it catches the middle fork it also catches the other 2. Any ideas???
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
That's strange. I know they changed the style of the shifter somewhere around 97-98, and the best way to match parts up is to match the year exactly. I didn't think the shifters would interchange at all, one has four mounting bolts (like my 98) and the earlier style is round and somehow snaps in. .

If that's the only problem with the shifter I wouldn't be afraid to grind it down until it clears. I remember mine was not a perfect "ball", and was flatened on the sides.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 PM

The ball should be flat sided. Grab a rule (or a caliper if you have one) and measure the width of the shift lever, and the spacing between 1/2 and 5/R rails. Has the shifter been apart at all? If the shifter isn't returning to center properly, it may be trying to push two rails at once.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
The ball should be flat sided. Grab a rule (or a caliper if you have one) and measure the width of the shift lever, and the spacing between 1/2 and 5/R rails. Has the shifter been apart at all? If the shifter isn't returning to center properly, it may be trying to push two rails at once.
It's totally round, lookds like I'm going to be grinding on it. It returns to center just fine, but when I go to puch forward or backwards on the middle fork it get's stuck.
That's strange. I know they changed the style of the shifter somewhere around 97-98, and the best way to match parts up is to match the year exactly. I didn't think the shifters would interchange at all, one has four mounting bolts (like my 98) and the earlier style is round and somehow snaps in. .

If that's the only problem with the shifter I wouldn't be afraid to grind it down until it clears. I remember mine was not a perfect "ball", and was flatened on the sides.
They did change the shifter around that time, but the trans is out of an 02, and I THOUGH i grabbed the right shifter for it, the trans out the truck the motor came out of had that round snap set up. Looks like I'm busting out the grinder.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM

02 is a 4bolt shifter top,94 t0 97 is a bottle neck top.if your shife stick has a snap ring set up ,it is for a 94-97 [bottleneck top] 98-up takes 4b0lts mount shifters.... Picture is 4bolt top [98-up] also the 4 bolt shifter has a square spacer plate that goes on between the transmission top and shifterstick mounting