12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

New Clutch Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clutch Time

Need some imput on what I can get away with most reasonable cost. I tow approx 10K at most. Only mod is #5 fuel plate. Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 PM

from what i've heard south bend is the only way to go. i've seen on here how great of service they provide if you have any problems. when i buy a clutch it will definitley be south bend. they have clutches for very reasonable prices
Old 12-14-2004, 11:50 PM

I have a SBC that the previous owner installed and now is slipping under heavy throttle, so I took advice of everyone here and elsewhere by placing a call to Peter up at SBC. Talked with Peter to see if there was anything I could do adjustment wise and such. He stepped right up to the plate and said get it in the shop, let us swap out the clutch/pressure plate, resurface the flywheel and we pay for everything 100% no cost to me. And I'm not the original purchaser of the clutch - Man that right there sold me on SBC's, there will be a SBC in my trucks from this day forward - everything wears out, everyone makes a bad product at some point and time but it's how you handle it after the sale that's really important. Peter is top notch! I called and made arraignments to get mine in at local shop here after the first of the year - I want to have it home for the holiday to do some light hauling that the mini van can't handle then I'm going to let them fix her up...

Again I can't say how impressed I was with Peter's level of customer service! He even offered that if I needed to step up the larger flywheel/clutch assembly that he would credit back a portion of the monies already spent towards getting me what I need. BIG THUMBS UP!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Banned

SOUTH BEND!!!

DO NOT let the prices scare you... this will be the last clutch you have to buy probably. and if you EVER have any problems with it, Peter will do standing back flips to take care of you...

my truck had a south bend clutch in it when I bought it... I busted a spring in the disk, and Peter OVERNIGHTED a new revised disk and pressure plate for FREE. I asked if he needed me to send him the old one, and he said that would be a waste of time and money, just take care of the new one...

their prices are a little higher than other clutch manufacturers, but they're at the top of friction technology, and their customer service is second to none.

hate to sound like a comercial, but SBC has treated me better than any company has EVER treated me!!!!

Forrest
Old 12-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Banned

FWIW, I would go with a 13.25" OFE for your truck... it tows well (no chatter getting a big load moving) and will hold a lot of power...

once you get it in, I would recomend a set of 370 injectors and sliding your plate forward... it'll hold it and then some

Forrest
Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 AM

Ok, thanks for all the replies. Its obvious which way I am going now. I am holding on the this truck so I'll put the additional expense with the SB. It will pay off in the long run I guess. thanks, Sonny
Old 12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Banned

that's the way I look at purchases/maintanence of stuff on this truck... I'd rather not spend the money, but I'm going to have the truck for a long time, so it pays off in the long run.

I can guarantee you'll be happy w/ your SBC.

give Peter a call!

Forrest
Old 12-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Banned

South Bend all the way last clutch you will ever buy most popular seems to be con-ofe
Old 12-15-2004, 02:55 PM

i have the 13.25 conversion with the fe material both sides, it is a bit grabby. the ofe would probably better, but you need to tell them how much hp it needs to hold