12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

New 12v quad cab 2500 intro and q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 12v quad cab 2500 intro and q's

Hey all, just bought a 98 12v quad cab 4x4 after looking for about a year. Good thing is it's a Ca truck so no rust, bad thing is it's a Ca truck so it's got a cat and egr, and from what I hear, a restrictive intake that should be thrown to the side of the road for one form the other 49 states. I'm in Pa so taking that stuff off isn't an issue for me. Am I right about the intake elbow? What years would make a suitable replacement? I will be putting a 4" exhaust on, doing the KDP, and the GSK to get started. It currently has egt and boost gauges, and a #10 plate. This is my first Cummins truck, anything else I should be considering or looking at? It has a rebuilt auto with the upgraded tc and valve body so I should be ok for a while. The truck will be a daily driver, occasional tow rig. I'd like as much HP and torque as I can get with out sacrificing drivability and reliability. Is the #10 plate the right one for my intended use? I'm not interested in swapping turbos or injectors, just waking up what I've got. Thanks in advance, Seth
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Seth, CONGRATULATIONS on the purchase of that truck! I still like my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve better than ANY of the other four (4) Dodge CTD Pickups I have owned.

You are right on the intake on that truck. Any intake from a 96'-98' Cummins 5.9 12 valve engine (non-California) is going to be better than what you have Sir. Also, the #10 plate is a good place to start. I would also recommend taking your timing to around 16 degrees if it is not already there and see how that does for you. On the GSK, I would also recommend going with a 4K. I saw quite a difference between the 3K and 4k kits.

Otherwise, it looks like you are in pretty good shape. Sounds like the previous owner set that truck up pretty well.

Good luck.

---------
John_P
Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the info. The previous owner is a member here, and runs a truck repair shop in San Bernardino county. It sat on the classifieds here for a while, I guess when diesel was around $5 a gallon. It was well described, and the only things found wrong were low oil and tire pressures all over the place. The cat is already in the bed with a straight pipe bolted up, and I may have scored an intake from a 97 so good there. What is the difference between the 3 and 4k gsk?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I do not know , because I have done to my truck yet , but I've read that you can get the engine to run more efficiently [ with more HP/fuel ] getting better millage also .
You may have the 131 delivery valves in that pump , & a step or so bigger injectors .
The idea I have in mind is , that dodge had Cummins detune the eng. so they did not have to build a auto for it , making it run below its peak efficiency , of around 275 HP , instead of 160 HP from dodge .
An other thought , also from reading , is that in almost any other app. the 5.9 has plumbing for the rear of the eng./head , that only the dodge does not .

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...er-p-1374.html
Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by esde
Thanks for the info. The previous owner is a member here, and runs a truck repair shop in San Bernardino county. It sat on the classifieds here for a while, I guess when diesel was around $5 a gallon. It was well described, and the only things found wrong were low oil and tire pressures all over the place. The cat is already in the bed with a straight pipe bolted up, and I may have scored an intake from a 97 so good there. What is the difference between the 3 and 4k gsk?
---------------------------------------------------------
You are very welcome Sir!

On the 3K and 4K governor springs, IMO, the main difference is in how far they let the engine RPM climb. A 3K will easily get you over 3,000 RPM's and the 4K's will get you up at or near to 4,000 RPM. One CON to both of them is you should really have at least 60lb. valve springs on both the intake and exhaust. At least that is what I think.

--------
John_P