12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

need help tracking down oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
r4l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help tracking down oil leaks

I recently purchased this truck and everytime i turn it off it put about 5-6 oil drops in a line, you can see very little oil at top of timing cover directly below rad. hose and also on the engine pan bolts directly below harmonic balancer. I dont know if kdp has been done, i think that it may and the previos owner just used the same gasket. just above the oil pan on the block it has some sludge (mixed oil and dirt) so i know it is leaking. Also on passenger tire at the spindle it is leaking gear oil. Im about to replace fix the kdp just needed extra info. also it is leaking at oil pan can i put some sort of rtv on outside to stop it.

I wipe all surfaces off came back 30 min later and saw oil on track bar preety sure it was coming fromthe edge of bottom of timing cover.

Also where is the cheapest place to get the kdp kit.
Attached Thumbnails need help tracking down oil leak-img_1352.jpg   need help tracking down oil leak-img_1353.jpg   need help tracking down oil leak-img_1358.jpg   need help tracking down oil leak-img_1360.jpg   need help tracking down oil leak-img_1362.jpg  

Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM

Get the front cover gasket and crank seal from Cummins. You can make your own KDP keeper from a piece of scrap metal, I made mine from a piece of .o32 aluminum. Do it on a day where you can take the small bolt to a hardware store to get one a little longer, or perhaps someone can give the size that is needed.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM

When you do your kdp make sure you clean holes and bolts with brake clean and dry them and use lock tight on them. Do the timing gear case to block bolts too. There are 2 bolts behind the cam gear that are not seen that help hold the gear case to the block. Many including myself have an oil leak after fixing the kdp that drips down the block between the vacuum pump and the block on the front drivers side. The leak is coming from the gasket between the gear case and the block. To remove the case is an expensive job so you need to fix it as best you can with it in place. If the gasket is not torn the bolt tightening will do the job.
I am going to remove my vacuum pump to try to seal the area from the outside as best I can . I did not know about the 2 bolts behind the cam gear. If the outside repair does not work I will be pulling my cover off again to do the job all over again.
Ps, I made my oun kdp tab out of a piece of sheet metal then all you need is a little longer bolt. ALso put the front seal in dry when you put it back on the crank as the directions state.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 PM

I vote for making your own KDP kit. When I got mine I was disturbed that I paid so much for a bolt, short piece of metal, tube of gasket sealer, little teeny bottle of loctite and a seal. The little tube of loctite was almost useless. I had a piece of tube of gasket sealer and used that and never broke seal on tube they provided. I bought the gasket from local cummins shop and if I had to do again would also buy the seal from them and save $30-$50.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 AM
r4l

Thanks for the info i just went ahead and ordered the kit from extreme diesel, but i am considering just getting the seal from cumins and itf truck has kdp done then just return to xtremediesel.