12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Mechanical pump....how much pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical pump....how much pressure?

I have installed a vegetable oil kit by frybrid in my truck and want to add a pusher pump to the vegetable oil side. The pump I have settled on is the mallory 140, which is self regulated to 12psi. This pump is to overcome the restriction of the vegetable oil fuel filter. Do I need to regulate the pressure down after the vegetable oil fuel filter or can the stock fuel pump handle some pressure on the inlet side? The flow goes from the vegetable oil tank to the vegoil fuel pump to the vegetable oil fuel filter to a 3-way valve to the stock mechanical lift pump, and then to the injection pump. Thanks.

Waylan
Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 PM

bump to the top
Old 05-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned

Have you visited this forum: http://www.greasecar.com/forum.cfm , it's free and there's a pretty good wealth of knowledge there.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im also installing a vegoil kit from parts I bought. Im going to use the stock setup however and use the mechanical pump to draw the oil from the tank once its up to temp.
It seems that the trick is to not just get the oil hot, but to keep it hot all the way up to the injectors with coolant wraps on the filters and electrical resistance heaters on the injector lines.
I think youll be ok with the stock pump only. I bought a holley blue that I was going to use but after re-drawing the plumbing Im going to go with the stock pump.
The stock pump can make around 30psi with a new overflow valve. Those motorized pumps are only rated and regulated for 12 to 14psi so youll wind up with a bottleneck and the pump will probably run pretty hot.
send me a priv message if you want a copy of my schematic or part numbers on stuff I got.
This also depends on whether youre going to use the normal feed and return setup or a feedback loop around the injection pump. Im going with the normal setup and more heating coils in the tanks. If you do it this way and switch the feed to diesel and the return to vegoil you can do a nice quick purge.
We gotta find other fuels than petro. Stock market investors and oil companies are sucking our wallets dry. Save the petro for plastics and lubricants!
Old 05-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

On my system, I have a Carter pump right next to the Vormax as per their instructions. On to the 3 port, then another Carter pump, vegatherm, then to the LP and IP. So far, I have had no problems at all with fuel or bottleneck delivery, the engine gets plenty. I agree that the heat should go as far as possible, but I would be careful about the line heaters. During a stop and go, or slow idle, because there is not much flow, it could get really hot. I switched my vegtherm to the cab for control.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 AM

Baja,

What system did you go with? Do you know how much pressure your carters are putting into the feed side of your stock pump? And last, how many miles have you logged on WVO? Thanks.

Kawi600,

My kit is a single pump kit right now, utilizing the stock pump. However, the vegetable oil filter is putting up enough restriction since it is being sucked through and I believe that if I put a pusher pump before the vegetable oil filter it will all work out. The pump I bought was a mallory 140, which should be adequate I think?

Thanks for the site northslope!

Waylan
Old 05-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

Mostly homemade , although I thought I was getting a kit. Long story how all this happened, but oh well. I have rebuilt most of it correctly.
I don't know how many GPM the Carters put out, but it is a pretty fair stream when I disconnect the line and turn on the pump. I don't think the pressure is as important as the volume. As long as the LP is not starved, there is no problem. The LP will provide the pressure.
I think that you are correct in your thinking about the pusher pump @ the veg filter. Since the veg is thicker, I will be harder to pump, and the electric pump will be a good addition. I have two. Make SURE that your filter is heated!!!!!
12,000+ miles.