12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Manual shift front differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual shift front differential

Another question,

I put a manual cable shift on my buddies front differential and it is hard to get into and out of gear for him. Is there an electric shift or something other than the cable shift out there so he can independently shift his front differential into and out of gear. He has a steep driveway and uses the 4 wheel low setting to bring his boat into and out of the yard and with an auto tranny wants the low range but 2 wheel drive to help control the boat. We also put brakes on his boat trailer but had to pull him up the driveway with my truck as his idicator on dash showed he was in 4 wheel drive coming out of his driveway but it wasn't. Operator error but I can only drive one truck at a time.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the same CAD (center axle disconnect) system that chrysler uses on their jeep's of which I have several. I weld my front diffs and use a switch like you are talking about to have both front wheels pulling like there was a spool in it ur unlock it so just the drivers side is pulling which makes it much easier to turn.

But I digress, It is real simple, since his front end is open (no locker or limited slip) you can just get a vacuum switch. I am a junkyard type of guy so the one I use comes out of the 80-89 full size cherokees or grand wagoneer with the quatradrive system it is located on the lower dash (make sure you bring torx bits as that is what holds it on. It is a real simple switch 3 ports one has the vac source from the engine, one goes to one port on the front axle and the third goes to the other port on the front axle. Of course you remove the stock lines from the transfer case, and just run the 3 new ones. That's it. the switch is usually $5 but it does look like it belongs in a wagoneer, I am sure you could find a 3 port vac switch in grainger or something like that.

It works the same basically as the cable but doesn't cost $200 and it slips into and out of 4wd much easier