12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

LOST: 2 gallons oil out the dipstick tube....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOST: 2 gallons oil out the dipstick tube....

Recently purchased a 95' 2wd 12valve auto to replace my 99' 24v 5-speed. Got the truck for $500 had to put in new batteries and ball joints to get her licensed. Now the problems......

Last weekend I pulled and replaced the o-rings on the Delivery valve tubes thinking this was causing my leak, washed everything down started the truck no leak. drive it down the freeway and i have oil (I thought diesel ) all over the drivers side. So I figure its the nuts that hold the hardline to the DV tube. Today I wash the pump off with degreaser drive it to work everything is dry, drive it home all is dry. Need to run down the freeway so I put a piece of cardboard between the dipstick tube and the injection pump. Go for a spin pop the hood and sure enough the cardboad is coated on top with oil from the dipstick tube right where the handle is. Also when the truck is running and you take off the oil filler cap you can hear a scratchy noise local diesel guy says its a scored cylinder wall.

Could the scored cylinder be letting pressure by and causing way too much pressure in the crankcase? it pushed out 2 gallons in a week!!! Is there a blowby or something on these trucks like on the timing cover of the 24v???

sory for the long post, im just at my wits end trying to decide if i should keep this and put money in the trans or dump it and get a gasser.....
Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be worthwhile having the oil sent for analysis and look for blowby and wear metals. Your oil leaking could even be a vacuum pump problem. Put a vacuum gauge on the pump and you should see 25" or so of vacuum.
You got a good seal on the dipstick tube? Mines a wreck and it spews oil everywhere when I take it on the highway.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:09 PM

nope the handle is cracked and the seal is MIA im thinking thats the problem, can i buy just the disptick or do i have to get the whole tube from the ***********?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned

if you're pushing out 2 gallons in a week some little seal on the dipstick isnt going to help. really 2 gallons in a week? the blowby tube is on the left hand side of the engine. i would say you've got some bad cylinders by what you described and your burning some of what you're loosing, the powersteering pump cant put that much psi in the block if thats what it was.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

Have you checked to see if the breather tube is blocked and causing the excessive crankcase pressure?

With excessive cylinder wear its possible that your having some issues with leaks,but,if the truck has been sitting awhile and not driven anything is possible.The first thing I would do is service it,make sure the crankcase breather is clear so I had a baseline to go by.12v's,even when they are high mileage,won't loose 2 gallons of oil unless there is something abnormally wrong.Also make sure there is no oil in the coolant and that all along the head gasket its dry and not leaking any coolant or oil.

Its sounds like for $500 you got what you paid for,a $500 truck.I hate to make it sound harsh,but,this is one of those you get what you paid for deals.Its now up to you to determine how much you want to pay for.As for dumping it to get a gasser pig,well its your money and your decision not ours.However,unless the body is falling off and the drivetrain is junk,I would never do it,it can be rebuilt slowly and still be better than any gasser pig.....Andy

Last edited by Hammer; 07-22-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 PM

is the blowby tube plugged it should come out there first???
Old 07-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to get rid of it let me know, I need a new project.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Banned

500 usually wouldn't even get u a old used p-pump, and u got a whole truck for that much, so even if u have to throw a whole new engine in u'll still come out on top.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:48 PM

If your pushing that much out of the dipstick tube from blow by than I cant imagine what it looks like when you look at the vent tube? It would be pretty bad even at idle I would think? I think the members that mentioned the stock vent being plugged are on the money. It sounds like its plugged and the dipstick tube is the next easy out. Try taking the oil fill cap off and taping a rag on the tube until you get a handle on it and that should help keep the oil in the engine. You can tell if there is excessive blow by doing a manometer test with a simple clear hose and some water but you will need to check that the V/P isn't leaking also.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:22 PM

where is the blowby tube on this thing front or back of the engine? I know on my 24v it was up front. As far as the $500 its already been worth it there is a handle on the dipstick its just all broken where its supposed to seal to the tube. I wrapped a rag around it today drove 70 miles an hour for an half hour got out checked it, nothing leaked everything still looked good. Drove another 30 or so minutes to get home at 70 MPH popped the hood, rag was soaked and had oil coming down the fender again.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

The crankcase breather on a 12v is on the drivers side of the motor and towards the rear.It will be located on the towards the rear of the side tappet cover,behind the factory fuel filter,under the intake shelf and above the starter.It should have a 3/4" clear hose or some type of hose hanging down from it and be about the starter or so,right above the front differential u-joint,IF it has never been removed that is.

Most owners will lengthen the hose because the factory one gets hard and brittle after years of heat and cooling.I had mine lengthened when we worked on it recently using 3/4" Parker grey push-lok hose and ran it over the starter.back along the frame rail and dropped it behind the transfer case.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

its on the left side of the engine get under the truck and look for it!!! must be plugged because on that piece youll be smelling oil and seeing combustion gasses like crazy.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Make sure you didnt use more then 11qts on the last oil change, and look for a vaccum leak.
as far as when the oil fill cap is off, its always noisy in there
Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

Caleb..
Here ya go a photo for you....
I went outside and played Gumby and got a shot of where its at for you to see it.As you can see mine has the Parker Grey Push-Lok hose and a hose clamp on it to secure it.It was lengthened to allow the vent to go behind the transfer case and help limit what I clean for show season.Eventually I will have a tank made to catch it and the valve cover breathers but for now this is as good as it got.......Andy

First photo shows the location and the second is where mine exits.
Attached Thumbnails LOST: 2 gallons oil out the dipstick tube....-various-001a.jpg   LOST: 2 gallons oil out the dipstick tube....-various-010.jpg