12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Loss of power. What's the most likey candidate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007 | 07:33 PM
Banned

Loss of power. What's the most likey candidate?

Ever since I ran my truck with a blown turbo boot for a good month or so, fixed now, I just haven't gotten back the power back from before.

Couple things that I think could be killin my power. Before, I could start off and break my meats loose in 2nd gear. Now it wants to bog down when I try to start off in 2nd.

I know I got a slow leak in my valve cover gasket. Bout a 1/2 quart a month. I see a small leak in my exhaust gasket towards the front of the engine. My clutch may be on the way out, seems like it doesn't disengage until you let off a 1/3 of the way from all the way up, to where it use to disengage right when you got it off the floorboard. I don't think it's my slave, seeing as I just replaced that 2 months ago.

It doesn't blow as much black smoke, and now my boost won't go above 20lbs. Feels like I'm dragging anchor.

What do yall think might be the problem? Or combinations of problems. All ideas welcome.
Old 10-01-2007 | 07:01 PM
Banned

Soo... No ideas, anyone?
Old 10-01-2007 | 10:23 PM
Chapter President

Well, it could be a number of things. I would plug off the wastegate and see if that helps up the boost. If not, then there is something amiss in the turbo or intake system to the turbo.

Without boost, you won't get fuel from the pump. Its sorta a catch 22, no fuel no boost, but no boost no fuel... Anyhow. I would also check all the intercooler boots, and the intake manifold for leaks. With a blown boot, you may have gotten some dirt in the system feeding the AFC as well.

Oh and I guess the standard answer applies as well, fuel filters, air filters and fuel pressure check..

Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2007 | 09:25 PM

it could even be a fuel pressure problem. that is what it turned out on my truck a simple oil pressure guage fro auto zone or something will work.
DM01
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:55 AM
Banned

Thanks for the help. Haven't been able to go out and check all that stuff. Been comin down with pneumonia, so I aint been able to do much of anything ...

Keep the ideas rollin, so I have a nice fat list of things to check once I'm able to get up and get out
Old 10-04-2007 | 08:46 PM

Check boost leaks. I'm sure you still have an operational AFC housing and maybe the line is leaking and not letting the foot slide all the way. There a lot it could be sometimes it takes looking all over for just a small problem. try to think about ever thing you did last to the motor and then recheck every nut bolt and line even close to where you worked.
DM01
Old 10-05-2007 | 10:40 AM

did you go wtih a factory turbo or a bigger one? a bigger one will make it seem slower untill it spools up but the lower boost pressure..

I'd check for leaks first. Boost leaks, blown boots (most of this stuff others have said but ill say it again) make sure your AFC housing is working that the hose going to it is in good shape and the rack travels freely. If thats all good check your fuel pressure. Common low pressure problems are fuel filter, lift pump, check valve, fuel heater screen clogged, screen in the tank, cracked lines letting in air. Mostly in that order. I think I'm missing one but you've got a list to work on
Old 10-05-2007 | 05:56 PM
Banned

Yeah, appreciate the list folks. Still pretty much holed up in my house recovering for this past week. Pneumonia really takes it out of ya.

Got bored and called a place here in town called TSD, and described my symptoms. Told me it could either be the pump or MAYBE my governor springs have been worn out. How do I go about checking to see if the pump is about to give up the ghost? And as far as the springs go, how can you tell if those are worn out? Maybe a good excuse to go pick me up a 3gsk kit?

Caint wait till I get better, so I can work on my dog gone truck!
Old 10-05-2007 | 07:49 PM

you cant go wrong with a 3k gsk. I have one and its good stuff. However I'm willing to bet large sums of money it has nothing to do with your springs wearing out. I still bet its fuel pressure. I dont know how to check the lift pump or if you can. The only thing I know to do is check your pressure and see if its low (it probbaly will be) then start checking everything else. If there all good then its probabbly the pump.
Old 10-05-2007 | 09:55 PM

What do you mean "blown turbo"?