12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

leaf spring replacement- best options??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaf spring replacement- best options??

I need to replace my leaf springs or at least have them re-arched and add the firestone airbags. Just wondering if any brand was better than another. A local shop will re-arch them for $40 each, and I'm wondering if I add the firestone bags will they last for a while? I know these are a pain to change so don't want to do it twice. The truck does sit low in the rear, it had been previously overloaded. It is constantly sitting on the hard part of the spring. Rides like a tank. I had this same truck new in 97 and it rode much better. I rarely run emtpy, but it does happen. Usually towing a horse trailer. Have to do something, I am actually getting a chassis vibration from the rear. It takes the right situation to set it off, but when it does you have to slow way down to get it to stop. I have heard about "death wobble" in these trucks from the front end, but haven't heard of it from the rear yet. I have been telling my husband there was a vibration, thought maybe a u joint. Then he drove it saturday and it did it with him driving. He is thinking leaf spring bushings, and since I know I need springs anyway, may as well fix both problems at once.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM

firestone bags is what I use on my truck. I like them , The truck does not seem to hit as hard on bad bumps that I know I used to slow down for. I think the bags run 10 psi all the time with the air compressor option I have. They do give me a great ride when I tow my fiver.best thing I did to my truck so far. I think you will love them towing your horse trailer for sure . I like the fact that I can add air to level out the trailer. Later Don T
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 PM

I used the air bags on a old mason dump and loved them,lasted longer than the truck.on board air is nice to have,I rigged a storage tank and quick connect and never worried about getting a flat out on the road. setup for kit and pump should be in the 300.00 range,getting the springs redone (get an extra leaf added or it will sag again) is the cheaper,let your budget decide.Good luck.