12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Lack of Power...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of Power...

Greetings all. I'm currently working on a '98 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L 24V with automatic transmission. First off its not my truck, its a customer's truck. I've worked on all his other stuff and now he's brought this one to me. I know enough about the Cummins ISB engine to be able to wrap my head around it, and I do have a service manual for it. I've hooked my scan tool up to the truck and I've managed to pull the following codes. P0122: TPS/APPS sensor voltage low, P0216: Fuel injection timing malfunction/fuel injection pump timing failure (from what I see/read around online, that's the VP44's "fat lady" song), P0237: Boost pressure/MAP sensor voltage low, P1682: Charging system voltage too low (checked alternator output with my DVOM and with my battery/alternator/starter tester, she's okay), and P1693: Code stored in PCM/ECM (guessing that just means that the code(s) are not only stored in the Chrysler PCM on the firewall, but probably also in the Cummins engine controller on the side of the block.
So far I've checked the APPS (checks good on all accounts, but according to my service manual even if it checks good but there's a code for it, replace the part), I've also checked the function of the wastegate, its good, holds vacuum as my book says, along with the control rod moving as it should. The turbo itself is clean, has no play in it, and hand-spins freely. It started raining on me (truck is currently outside, no room in my shop at the moment...), so I kinda had to quit on the truck for the moment and finish up some other jobs inside so that I can get it inside. I'll be checking the MAP sensor tomorrow (which of course will probably check good too, but according to my book, its the same as the APPS, if it checks good but there is a code, replace it). The biggest thing that I'm worried about is the P0216, I really don't want to tell this customer that he's going to need an injection pump considering that the truck runs as well as it does, it just has no power, but from what I've read on here and from a few other places that's pretty much what I'm going to have to tell him along with the other parts if they don't check out up to snuff.
So what to y'all suggest?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM

I'll honestly take any suggestions on this one y'all. I've already threatened the to beat the truck with a hammer and call it dirty names (not that it would help I know...), I'm just the type that doesn't want to haul off and buy a ton of parts and still not fix the problem (I'm not that kind of mechanic, I don't throw parts at a vehicle till something fixes it, nor am I afraid to say that I don't know and turn the vehicle over to someone else whom does).
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does the truck have the dead pedal syndrom where it just wont go anywhere? maybe the lift pump is bad as well usually they go together. do you have a fuel pressure gauge on it? also how is the fuel filter. with all those codes i would be worried. also try and reset those codes, with a programmer or a scan tool of somesort. unplugg the batteries for a while and see what codes go away.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Fuel filter replaced 2 weeks ago, checked before testing everything else. Truck will run perfectly fine, just has no "pep". Owner complained of truck "pulsing", his definition of a surge, but with no tach change to support it, just a high rev, low rev surge at certain rpms/speeds. Almost like the trans was hunting. I've test driven the vehicle multiple times and haven't had it happen to me, but he also said that the vehicle stopped doing that when the CEL finally came on, but the truck lost its power then. I'm going to clear the codes either tomorrow or wednesday afternoon, then see what comes back. I'm also going to try the APPS reset found on here. After that I'll see what comes back, but I think that its a bit odd for all those codes to be in the PCM, yet its still driveable.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vp is shot!!

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html
Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I'm figuring that the VP44 is shot, but I want to make sure that I've got everything else out of the way first before I have to tell the customer the bad news... I'm sure you know how it goes, you make sure all the "little things" are okay before pronouncing the injection pump bad, but of course if I do the injection pump I'm going to do the lift pump and install a fuel pressure gauge/light combo for the owner, even though the truck is bone stock.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Before replacing the VP, go ahead and add the things to prevent it from happening again. New LP and fuel pressure gauge.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM

I'm going to do things full out if the customer wants me to do it. No point in playing around with this one. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and for the information on the truck. Its been pretty helpful to me and gave me a lot bigger insight into exactly what I need to do (first time I've had a Cummins come in with this type of problem and I am a certified Chrysler tech, just never got to make it to the diesel classes before my dealer closed). I really appreciate all the help
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

I'll conquer the VP44 is shot.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Hmm, checked the truck a little further today, looks like the customer is getting a new VP44, lift pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure warning light (at least a light if not a gauge too), a APPS, and a MAP/Boost sensor. Kinda hurts my feelings a little bit that the truck needs so much at once, but them's the breaks...