12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

KDP ....what per cent do you figure actually fail ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KDP ....what per cent do you figure actually fail ?

Just wondering how many KDP folks are actually seeing come loose and do damge ? I think I read where Cummins claims around 5% , but wondered what you'all are seeing in the real world ?<br><br>Also , I read how the nut can come loose in the five speeds and you lose your 5th gear . How many of those do you feel end up failing ?
Old 01-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Chapter President

Re:KDP ....what per cent do you figure actually fail ?

[quote author=sdgunslinger link=board=16;threadid=9237;start=0#88613 date=1041799965]<br>Just wondering how many KDP folks are actually seeing come loose and do damge ? I think I read where Cummins claims around 5% , but wondered what you'all are seeing in the real world ?<br><br>Also , I read how the nut can come loose in the five speeds and you lose your 5th gear . How many of those do you feel end up failing ?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Does it matter if its 5% or 100% if its yours that fails and causes $2000-3000 in damage your still going to be a unhappy camper....the fix whether its with a KDP Jig or by tabbing the dowel is still the cheapest way to go....I travel long distances and would always worry &quot;is it going to fail now&quot; so far from home.... :-[<br><br>I feel safe traveling now cause my dowel is fixed... ;D
Old 01-05-2003, 03:49 PM

I sort of agree with you there pappy , but I am kind of calculating the odds on how long I have to get the fix done........{grin}
Old 01-05-2003, 04:07 PM

156,000 miles is what I had when mine dropped.<br>Take care of it. Nuff said.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Chapter President

Ive fixed 4 CTD's in the last month<br><br>truck 1 mine had 87900 miles drilled and put in a blocking screw no troubles<br><br>truck 2 my buddys did the same day as mine drilled hit the dowel but was able to work it back thru the hole I drilled and got a blocking screw in place miles 132500<br><br>truck 3 my ladys rig (just sold it) drilled and blocked no troubles miles 69800<br><br>truck 4 took my KDP jig to his house drilled hit the dowel couldnt move it back in so we pulled the cover we caught his in time it was almost outta place tabed it....this one suprized me it was a 98 with 44000 miles<br><br>morel of this story you have until the next time you start your truck to worry about the KDP if its not fixed.....I cant stress the relief I feel knowing my dowel is fixed..... ;D<br>
Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this something I should be worried about with a 24V ??? I just want to make sure as i have plenty of other things to think about.<br>Thanks for your input.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Chapter President

Iam not sure but I think some of the early 98.5's had this problem too...if I remember they started puttin the new improved gear housings on in 98 but they also had the old style that they used up too..... ???<br><br>Does anyone know for sure when they changed to the new style housings
Old 01-05-2003, 06:04 PM

Pappyman,<br>I guess I will try to get a look at it tomorrow and see if I do. My repair book from Haynes leads me to believe I don't but it's not always accurate.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Chapter President

[quote author=Copenhagenjunkie link=board=16;threadid=9237;start=0#88647 date=1041811480]<br>Pappyman,<br>I guess I will try to get a look at it tomorrow and see if I do. My repair book from Haynes leads me to believe I don't but it's not always accurate.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Copenhagenjunkie <br><br>This is what I found about the 98 model year<br><br>Early in 1998 the gear cover was changed to a 'blind hole' design, which would not let the dowel pin move out of the bore. If you have a great fear of this pin coming out, we suggest discussing this issue with your local Dodge dealer or Cummins distributor, to determine the appropriate action in each situation.<br><br>But I just did a early 98 last week and the Dowel was almost out so we tabed the dowel
Old 01-05-2003, 06:38 PM

For SDGUNSLINGER. The KDP is Russian Roulet. How lucky do ya feel? ???<br><br>Fixed one of mine yesterday, it was about 5/16th out and has 110K miles. My other has 70K on it &amp; I am doing it next Saturday. It will be a nervous week.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, i don't yet own one of these trucks but am planning on buying one soon. I've heard of the KDP, how does one best go about fixing it? I will be buying a 1st gen 12v.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:06 AM

[Also , I read how the nut can come loose in the five speeds and you lose your 5th gear . How many of those do you feel end up failing ?<br>
<br><br>Welcome sdgunslinger, As for this question I would say quite a few. I personally know of 10.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:09 AM
RCW

Figure on 100% failure rate.

The mileage on when it will drop out depends on the number of times the engine is really worked. The hotter the engine, the more the differential of expansion between the cast iron block and the aluminum gear case housing will impact the speed in which the pin works loose.

I have yet to open a 12 valve gear case and not find the pin either going, or nearly gone.

Regarding the 5th gear problem. I would expect that by now most have been corrected. You can provide your VIN to a Dodge dealer and they will be able to let you know if they fixed it under warranty. Or, check the transmission for a rebuilder's stamp to see if it has been repaired.

If it has not, do not screw around with the goofy &quot;nut only&quot; fix, but get the replacement shaft with the longer splines along with the new nut, and do it right.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:40 PM

Woodrat,<br><br>You either have to take the timing cover off and inspect it or buy or borrow a jig to drill and tap a hole in the side of the case to put a blocking bolt in. The jig is $300+ bucks. I just took the cover off mine.<br><br>There are a lot of threads on this subject and a ton of info. If you take about an hour of research on this site and others, you'll be well educated on the whole thing.<br><br>Good luck and welcome.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:21 PM

My 1995 Ram did drop the KDP :'( luckily, the only damage done was the gear housing cover. Repaired with JB weld.<br> It has also dropped the 5th gear twice :'( :'(. The first time fix was the updated nut.<br> A couple of days ago, it dropped 5th for the second time. I'm a 4 speed now. Piers is sending me a fully splined mainshaft, nut, gear and syncros. Anybody here rebuilt their nv4500?<br>John

Quick Reply: KDP ....what per cent do you figure actually fail ?