12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

jet fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:jet fuel

The flash point of the Jet is lower than what you would get with a #2 diesel fuel. Not sure how that relates to lower HP but fuel terminals places won't accept diesel if the flash point is less than 140*F. Jet is around 115*F <br><br><br>Falsh points are as follows, JP-5 is 150, JP-8 110.....Don't know how they rate with Jet A or B. Bad thing about JP-8 or the old JP-4 is they didn't have the heat energy content that JP-5 has and doesn't make the power.....that is a rating exam question for me.<br><br>Jim
Old 06-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Banned

I would love to try this Synthetic Diesel fuel. NO smoke. Candy odor.

More info: http://www.hiperfuels.com/index.cgi?...ExpandedDepts=

Old 06-20-2003, 07:07 PM

NOT A BAD PRICE FOR A 5 GALLON CONTAINER EITHER HEMI DART. SMELLS LIKE CANDY ,I WONDER WHAT IT TASTE LIKE. :P.....JOHN
Old 07-07-2003, 05:07 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I would hesitate strongly about a company that does sell soy diesel where you see &quot;contains soy oil&quot; on the canister... <br><br>Also these claims of BTUs etc are hard to verify- claims that this stuff is for European diesels are quite ridiculous, since all modern European TDIs use variable timing and other tricks to adapt to the available fuel. (As long as its clean and does lubricate)<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 PM

I also worked for a FBO at the scottsdale airport Az for over 10 years as the Ground Equip Maint Manager. This included repairing, Maintaining all Fuel Trucks, Aircraft Tugs etc. As well as Fuel Quaility control of all AvGas and Jet fuels.<br><br>As stated above you can run Jet A / JP8. We used all Sumped test fuel and fuel from Defueling etc in the Diesel Powered Equip, Trucks and personal vehicles. This practice had been done for over 15 years in some of our trucks. <br><br>I Highly suggest adding a Lubricant that are specifically for diesel fuel. DO NOT USE ATF!!!! This is a old &quot;Farmer Trick&quot; Rumor... ONE THAT IS WRONG!!!!! IT IS VERY BAD for most if not all injection pumps...<br><br>If you must add ATF where it doesn't belong add it to your crankcase oil. It does meet your engines for lubricant and adds a high level of detergent that will help clean the OIL Slime build up in old and negelected engines. Kurt
Old 07-10-2003, 04:33 AM

Very true what Kurt said, we do it here with our support equipment for flight operations, another one is what do they use on the boat (Navy) they use jet fuel.<br><br>Jim
Old 07-10-2003, 06:14 AM

The planes I fly use JP-8 and Jet-A interchangably. Their flash points are similar, but JP-8 gives off a little more energy when combusting (empirical evidence I have compiled by flying farther on a tank of JP-8 than on Jet-A.) But if you wanted to use them in your Cummins, you'd need a lubricant, as well. Therefore, the costs could be prohibitively high. Last time I checked, Jet-A was somewhere around $2.40 per gallon, and that's without the lubricant. #2 diesel was just $1.29.<br>So, to make a long story short, Moneypit, yes, you can use JP-8 or Jet-A, but I would suggest it only be used as an alternate when you can't get any good ol' #2.<br>
Old 07-10-2003, 07:36 AM

We used to run our boats/fork trucks/emergency diesel generators (Detroit's) on the Amphib with JP-5 rather than the normal DFM (Diesel Fuel Marine) that the main propulsion plant burned. DFM is used in both boiler fired steam plants and gas turbines.<br><br>My Engineman preferred the JP-5 (I recall it was because we had better filters for the aircraft fueling system), but I can't give you any long term observations though.