12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

jet fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jet fuel

what kind of jet fuel will work in our 12vers also is there any advantage, "run cooler, hp etc" just curious thanks mp
Old 03-16-2003, 08:05 AM

Re:jet fuel

Jet fuel ?? Oh...I guess if you're a "moneypit" you can afford jet fuel
Old 03-16-2003, 08:25 AM

used some jet fuel in a home heating system several years age. jet fuel doesnt seem to have any lubricity that our pumps require. washed some parts with it let them air dry 2 or 3 days later they were beginning to rust. think most of it is a high grade kerosene.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:13 PM

Your owners manual lists alternate fuels that may be used in an emergency-and- carries a warning about using the wrong fuels.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:38 PM

Don't use JP-5 or Jet B. <br><br>Jet A and JP-8 will work just fine, I reccomend the use of a lubricity additve when using these dryer fuels ;D
Old 03-16-2003, 11:05 PM

Is there any advantage of runnin theses fuels?? Im looker to see if it runs cooler or more hp involved just curious <br><br>&quot;Jet fuel ?? Oh...I guess if you're a &quot;moneypit&quot; you can afford jet fue&quot;<br>BEARFOOT2, is there something wrong with trying to learn something??? Too me people like you is what turns people away from forums like these, i wasnt asking for any smart a$$ comments just asking for some more info on jet fuel, u need to grow up mann The name money pit comes to mind because i can honestly say i work hard for my truck and dump alot of money into it therefore it feels like a never ending money pit!! any more info would be gladly appriciated
Old 03-17-2003, 08:31 AM

Moneypit,<br><br>You have my sincerest apology. And I mean that. I'm very sorry to have offended you.<br><br>The comment was simply meant as a joke and only that, as I thought was indicated by the smilies at the end.<br><br>I sincerely hope that you can forgive and forget...if not you are the one with a real problem.<br><br>Very sorry, Stan :'(
Old 03-17-2003, 08:42 AM

P.S. My apologies to anyone else and the forum Adminitrators who may have thought my comment was offensive.<br><br>These forums are the best way there is to learn (and this is the best of the best) and I'm one of the most mechanically challanged on here and have very much to learn. I am also very appreciative of those who start and finance these and have not intention to cause discord in any way, with anyone.<br><br>But, after having said all that I must say this...this forum is not only a learning tool, but it is a place to have fun and there is much teasing and &quot;funnin'&quot; that takes place, and should NEVER be used to put down or degrade. In that vein I have been offended at some of the language used - but, that is that person and if I'm uncomfortable with them I don't have to &quot;listen&quot;.<br><br>So again, I'm very sorry for having hurt or offended ANYONE.<br><br>Thanks, Stan<br><br> THE END
Old 03-17-2003, 10:04 PM

very well put appology accepted man! ;D Truce is set thank you mp
Old 03-18-2003, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jet fuel is just that Jet Fuel, use good clean #2 fuel and your engine will perform as required. Start messing around with liquids that are not spec to go in there and you will be paying for un-necessary repairs. Jet-B is P50 Arctic fuel that is sight tested for clarity and impurities with obvious reasons also known as Stove oil or Kerosene. Jet-A and JP-8 are heavier grades of fuel that must meet the same specs and usually more expensive without the fuel tax included. P20 summer fuel will give you the most power and cleanliness without compromising the integrity of your fuel system. Just like running marked fuel illegally aircraft fuel use is tax evasion. PK
Old 06-19-2003, 11:33 PM

Moneypit, I've burnt a few million lb of jetA, most of it at altitude but a few hundred gallons in a Chev. diesel. The only difference that I could tell is that it did not give me as much power as #2 diesel. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:19 AM

The flash point of the Jet is lower than what you would get with a #2 diesel fuel. Not sure how that relates to lower HP but fuel terminals places won't accept diesel if the flash point is less than 140*F. Jet is around 115*F
Old 06-20-2003, 06:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

I ran Jet A in my diesel engine Olds Delta 88 for quite a while. No problems and no apparant difference in performance and I drove it hard. Slight differance in exhaust smell.<br>In case anybody is wondering, no, I did not pay full price for this. I used the fuel taken from the daily fuel samplings at the airport. This fuel for some legal reason was not allowed to be put back into the system. It cost me less than normal diesel. Used a tank a week.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:19 AM

I worked at an airport in college. All the fuel trucks (Jet A) had to be sumped daily (drain some off the bottom in white bucket and look for water). I would then put this fuel in an overhad tank. This tank had a filter on it and I had permission to use it. I would run a little of this fuel in a bucket and check for water, then run my tank full (had a 91 Cummins at the time). I added conditioner and usually a quart of atf per tank. The truck ran on this stuff. I had to hit 4th to climb a hill, but it was free and left me more money for beer. Would I put it in a newer truck, only if I had to.
Chace
Old 06-20-2003, 12:37 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Army is running JP-8 in all their compression ignition engines. Lots of pros and cons. Some engines have a loss of power, others it doesn't seem to affect. It does burn cleaner. Most fuel related problems we've seen come from rotary type injector pumps due to the lower lubrication levels of the fuel. Lots of motor sgts put a quart or so of clean engine oil in the tank at each fill up. It will clean out a fuel system in a hurry so carry extra fuel filters.<br><br>shortround out

Quick Reply: jet fuel