12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Ive lost all low end power.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ive lost all low end power.

Help
I have lost all low end power. I just got the truck back from the tranny shop. Had the tranny built to handle the power upgrades. It takes forever to get to the point where the turbo kicks in. The black smoke is gone and so is the power it used to have.
How do I check the lift pump, and the fuel pump? Where is the pre-filter?
any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Rob.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your fuel pressure? Sounds like you're not getting enough fuel. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

thats odd. So u noticed it the minute u drove it after the new tranny? Or were there signs of it before u got the tranny?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 PM

I just got done checking everything I can think of. Fuel filter was replaced yesterday, just pulled, cleaned, replaced air filter. Pulled off cover to check if fuel plate was secure (still where I left it). I have to go buy a new fuel pressure gauge, mine is stuck at 50 psi. Actually the tranny guy mentioned it, he said that for a 97 it seemed really slow on take off. The only thing I noticed was about a week or two ago it didnt want to start. I cleaned the air cleaner and it fired right up.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

maybe a tank of bad diesel? Any white smoke after it didn't want to start? Also maybe check to make sure the fuel shutoff selenoid is lifting up all the way.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Fuel is from the local Shell station, just went through a tank and refilled. Dont recall seeing any white smoke only noticed the black smoke is gone, and I have no power.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Check the manifold pressure line to the AFC housing - prolly leaking at the rubber hose connection - no pressure, no fuel, no Boost, no power
Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Like gmctd said AFC pressure line
Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM

AFC housing?
Cant figure out what the afc is. And where is the pre-filter if there is one on the 97.
Thanks for all your info. Rob
Old 09-02-2007, 07:27 PM

lol Brain fart there for a bit
What is it when some one says that their afc has been gutted.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Notomas,

Where are you in CO? I’m at just over 6000 feet elevation with a tight tranny and struggle with low end power. Some tweaking of the plate (#10) helped a bit but it is still nothing like some of the 24 valves I've ridden in. My plate is right in the middle. No idea on the star wheel (it’s been back and forth a bunch) but I do get a good puff if I get into to it too early. Down a few thousand feet in elevation and the low end lag disappears along with most all the smoke.

T-Bone
Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM

Good point - I'm a flatlander, so altitude is of little consequence - that could be the problem, also - if your rebuilt torque conv has lower stall speed than oem, you will have reduced low-rpm power at the higher altitudes, as engine doesn't rev as high to get off the line - try standing on the brakes, rev the engine till Boost comes up to ~5psi, then let off the brakes for take-off, compare power in that mode - do this gently, so as not to lose your rear tires
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 PM

I up around 8,000' most of the time. I have tweeked the plate, moved it all over the place. Star wheel as well, cant find anything to make it better. I live in Rifle, Co and work in the mountains around there.
The new tcc has alot lower stall than the stock, I had to raise the idle to keep it running. I just ordered a FASS and am going to install that and a high flow elbow and cooler.

I did find that the fuel shut off wasnt working correctly on start-up. It wasnt opening like it should, could this not opening up all the way limit the fuel flow?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did find that the fuel shut off wasnt working correctly on start-up. It wasnt opening like it should, could this not opening up all the way limit the fuel flow
Tie it up with wire and see if it makes a difference.

Check the AFC line as others said. It runs from the back of the pump up over the engine to the turbo. Problem could also be the AFC diaphragm cracked.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 PM

I really suspect it's your new TCC - oem is ~2200rpm, a\m is ~1700rpm stall - world of difference down here in the flatlands, even moreso up there in the clouds - but, yeah, as suggested, give the fuel system the once-over, and check the pressure line to the AFC and WG - may be separate lines on your automatic truck - prolly high time fer some intensive preventive maintenance

Quick Reply: Ive lost all low end power.