12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Intro and a coupla questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro and a coupla questions

Over the weekend, I purchased a 1995 2500 5 speed 4x4 standard cab long bed pickup with 158,000 miles. I am pretty stocked about it as I have long liked the 12 valve trucks for their simplicity, toughness and reliability.

I paid 7K for this truck.

I am replacing a 2005 Chevy Duramax/Allison that I need to get rid of the payment for. My goal for this truck is to be my reliable daily driver, and used to tow my 22ft RV for infrequet weekend camping trips.

The truck has a Banks stinger kit which includes a turbo housing, exhaust, intake, some sort of "cam for the pump" and an EGT and boost guage. Then truck is on it's second clutch, the owner could not remember the brand but he recalled it being more heavy duty than the original because the banks kit required it. The truck also has an electric Warn Winch, oversized front bumper and 33 in BFG All terrain tires.

The truck is in pretty good condition.

The bottom of the engine and steering components are pretty well covered with oil, but there are no drips on the ground, so I am going to start looking around for leaks.

I noticed there is a small amount of moisture around the injectors. Is some of this normal? If not, what is the fix?

Also is there a place where I can get general information like what trans, front and rear ends, and transfer case is stock in these trucks?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Welcome, sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I think I can answer your questions. THe transmission is a NV4500, the transfer case should be a NP241HD, the fronnt is a Dana 60,and the rear is a Dana 80.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Sounds like a good truck. There are volumes of info here on this site. There are several threads on "common problems" and such. Try dodgeram.org. I think that is right. Sorry I can't offer specific info, but its all on here some where.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM

Are there some usual suspects for the places where these motors start to leak oil from?

I had mentioned before that there were no drips on the ground, but after it sat all day, there were a couple drips on the driveway.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM

my truck was the same way when i bought it over a year ago. i wiped the oil off pretty well with a dry wrag and it stayed the same ever since. i would do the same and see where it loads up first. could be a little blow-by or a leak on the oil pan.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM

check the AFC bolts as well as the front timing cover.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the 2500's had the dana 70 and the 3500 had the Dana 80. Did the previous owner say anything about fixing the dowel pin if not do a search for KDP. As for the moisture it could be something as simple as the copper washers aren't sealing correctly.
Sorry didnt see that the truck was a 5 speed.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM

thanks a lot for the advice on the leaks. I'll check all those spots you guys mentioned.

I was digging around more on it tonight and it looks like most of the valve cover gaskets are leaking, so I am going to start with those, but I am sure that is not all the leaks as there is a bunch of oil down in front.

I am hoping the the moisture I see around the injectors is some oil from the valve cover leaks. The valve cover farthest in the rear (I assume number 6) is leaking the worst.

Something else you all may have ideas on is this. I notived when I drive it, I start to get dizzy after a while, especially with the windows down. I checked the exhaust, but that is tight. Tonight in the driveway I noticed that when the motor is running, I can smell diesel pretty strong where the hood meets the fender right back by the driver side mirror. I think that may be coming into the truck and getting me a little sideways.

Any ideas for that?

I have read about the KDP and about which filters to use (donaldson or fleetguard) and not to use (Fram).

Once I get these leaks tightened up, I am going to replaced every drop of lubricant in the truck with Amsoil. I am a big fan of that stuff.

I also took the intake off and cleaned all through there and am going to remove the silencer ring.

Then I sat in the driveway with a beer and stared at the truck....man I like that thing. I never did that with my 50K dollar chevy dmax.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM

Does it have a fuel pressure gauge? If it does, it could have a leak in the line to the gauge. which would be in the cab. Check fuel canister for leak and prefilter.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 92ford
Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the 2500's had the dana 70 and the 3500 had the Dana 80. Did the previous owner say anything about fixing the dowel pin if not do a search for KDP. As for the moisture it could be something as simple as the copper washers aren't sealing correctly.
Sorry didnt see that the truck was a 5 speed.
5 speeds came with the dana 80, and usaully the bigger pump unless it is california truck
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get your vin # and call the dealer. He can pull the "build sheet" of the truck. On it you will find out exactly what parts are on it along with a lot of other information.
Look for throttle cable recall, # 970 (I think).
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by whiskeyrichard
I notived when I drive it, I start to get dizzy after a while, especially with the windows down.
haha...

Sorry, that just sounds funny. Sounds like you got a sweet truck. I know what you mean about just staring at it. Something about these that trucks that just feels rugged.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Diesel smell could be leaking fuel return line.. famous for going bad. Sounds like your truck came with the automatic undercarriage preluber like mine. I found that my "leak" was blowby caused by the line at the vaccuum pump being loose. Easy fix.