12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Im getting so tired of this.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im getting so tired of this.

It seems like every time my truck is finally running right something goes wrong. For the last couple of days when I star my truck it idles for about a second and then dies after about 2-4 times of this it will start then run fine. If I giver her a little throttle she will start right up most of the time but not all of it. Well today when I turned it off in the drive thru it would not start at all after about 10 attempts and people getting ****** behind me it started and I held her at 2k for a few seconds after that she is fine. I’m getting so tired of this it was doing great for about a week now this. There is a little bit of something on the ground were I park but it rained and Im not sure if its old or new if anyone has any ideas im all ears. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Chris
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Check rubber fuel lines around pre heater/strainer, they get old and crack. Also, have you changed fuel filter lately? Did you get it back on right, maybe debris in seals causing fuel leak.

Its a strech, but check the fuel solenoid, it will cause truck to die, but won't cause any leakes. Just things from my experinece.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 AM

This type of stuff has been happening since I replaced the p pump. Could this be overflow valve? Has anyone ever gotten a new one that was bad? I am also thinking it is the solenoid. Tonight im going to turn key to run pull the solenoid by hand and se if she starts ill keep you informed.

Chris
Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Does it smoke white when it does start up, if so you probably have a fuel leak, or your timing slipped, those are easy to check for. Fuel filter may be plugged, overflow valve may be shot, but not likely since it's new. Solenoid could be it, if you want pull it off and lift it manually by hand, that will give you a yes or no, but it could be the relay too.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM

pulled the solenoid and it started in about 3-4 seconds. so i guess thats it now i just have to fix it any idea whats wrong? Is it not pulling far enough? or maybee something else.

Chris
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM

i had the solenoid go out on mine so i just made a bracket for the pump and made it a cable shut off with a universal choke cable for a tractor........anything to get rid of electronics thats why i bought a 12 valve
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a good idea ^
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Look on ebay for those clear mercedes fuel filters with the brass inserts on the ends. Install one before the inlet on the IP if you can find a hose to splice. Great for spotting air in the lines.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Make sure you hide that cable well, otherwise anyone can start the truck if they pull the cable and jumper the starter.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 PM

PDR sell new solenoids at a good price. My Fuel solenoid came apart in to several pieces, others just get crud in the boot, because it is torn or gone, others just go bad, I'd get a new one and you'll be good for another 200k.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Also check the adjustment...Make sure its pulling all the way...Had a problem with very low power and the Fuel solenoid was out of adjustment...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 PM

also make sure the idle is around 750. it will help it turn over faster.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by xzaq103
It seems like every time my truck is finally running right something goes wrong. For the last couple of days when I star my truck it idles for about a second and then dies after about 2-4 times of this it will start then run fine. If I giver her a little throttle she will start right up most of the time but not all of it. Well today when I turned it off in the drive thru it would not start at all after about 10 attempts and people getting ****** behind me it started and I held her at 2k for a few seconds after that she is fine. I’m getting so tired of this it was doing great for about a week now this. There is a little bit of something on the ground were I park but it rained and Im not sure if its old or new if anyone has any ideas im all ears. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Chris
you're having some sort of fuel pressure/delivery problem...before replacing the solenoid check to see that it is staying up...if not then u need to check the blue wire...most likely is is loose, corroded, burnt . cut or whatever...usually the wire is at fault...make sure everyhtign is snugg and clean at the battery terminal...truck only needs one wire to run...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 PM

another stupid thing that tends to cause a headache is the water separator unit on the fuel filter...it likes to leak..that will make ur engine die and make things hard to start..i am using a solid filter for years now carquest # 86395...its a fleet filter...costs 8$ rather than 30$
Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 PM

Mine Did The Same Thing ..i Change The Selnoid And The Relay And It Would Start Sometimes And Then Not Others There Was A Thread On Here That Told Me To Check The Blue Wire On The Battery Positive On The Driver Side ..they Get Bad About 2 To 3 Inches From Terminal...i Just Cut It Off And Stripped The Wire And Put It Back On The Battery And Works Fine Now
Could Have Saved 400 Dollars Might Try That First

Quick Reply: Im getting so tired of this.