12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Idles funny, revs WAY past 3K, stalls out in 1st, need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lack of a rev limiter is kind of what's pointing me to that too. I searched for "inject* pump" and don't really find any SOURCES on where to buy one from.

Is there a test I can perform to verify that it is in fact the injection pump?

For the last couple weeks, if the truck sat for a couple days, it has been hard to start. I've assumed it's the fuel return line based on what I searched. Would a few hard starts be enough to kill the pump? I'm still waiting for my hose kit from Larry B... Or maybe not the hoses at all, but the pump going out?

This makes me sad en los pantalones.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
That really wouldn't surprise me. If it's not one thing, it's another.

F-250 I'm trying to sell
88 Mustang that needs the AOD swapped over to a T-5 with a few other things
97 Formula with a brand new 383 that won't run
79 Bronco with 2.5 gallons of mud in the gas tank due to a clogged vent popping off the top of the tank
87 Mustang sitting in 4 foot high grass because I don't have the engine built yet...

...and now a freaking Dodge that needs an injector pump...the big daddy cost of them all!
It might be something simple. Does anyone think there is a chance he might see and fix the problem by removing the afc housing, fuel plate and look at the governor springs to see if anything can be done. Probably not, but what would it cost?
I have spent several weeks in San Angelo in years past, I have never had a better time after work, of all the places, the ladys there are outstanding, evertime I think of San Angelo all I can do is smile. Great town Jim
Old 09-04-2006, 10:00 AM

I really hope so. It's raining today and I'm at work right now, but if I get some free time I'll check.

The pedal froze up on me a couple weeks ago too, I bounced it with my foot and it free'd up.

San Angelo...what can I say about San Angelo...it's been a long 4 years and I can not WAIT to get the $#@% out of here!

It's an OK town, just not for me...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check that one of the two small bolts holding what is labeled "throttle lever bolt" in Figure 4 in the link below is not missing or loose.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/970/repair.htm
Old 09-04-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks Bill, I will give that a look.

Where the governor springs are, is there anything in there that could bind up, causing the problem I'm having with not being able to turn the throttle arm on the outside of the injector pump?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Bill, I will give that a look.

Where the governor springs are, is there anything in there that could bind up, causing the problem I'm having with not being able to turn the throttle arm on the outside of the injector pump?

hmmm i have seen a pump, with that throttle arm beign stuck too! but never opened it up, just moved itm bent it straight untill it started moving freely again!

hey It sounds like your problem is the back part of the pump! governor springs assembly messed up! but not sure! id say that can be replaced easily! once your problem is on the front side: the barrels n plungers, then its
I have two pumps with stuck plunger in one barrel, but the back part is fine!
I also had a truck where the governor stud bend, which caused the springs to jam up, which caused high idle and super high top rpm... hmmm i bent the stud back and done!

has anything ever fallen into your pump? governor arm adjusting screw? any other screw? shims? socket?

BTW. If you happen to take of your AFC, take out the plate, and look at the rack on top of the inside of the pump, now move the throttle to WOT and see if it gets stuick anywhere. now move the shut off solenoid down, and see if it freely moves from the shut off point to WOT! if that sucker gets stuck anywhere the problem is in you plungers and barrels
Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Great information...I want to go outside now and take a look but the weather (rain) is not cooperating. .

I don't know if anything has fallen into there, if it had I surely would have removed it. Stupid question - governor springs under the AFC housing too, or another area?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great information...I want to go outside now and take a look but the weather (rain) is not cooperating. .

I don't know if anything has fallen into there, if it had I surely would have removed it. Stupid question - governor springs under the AFC housing too, or another area?

you can see em through the top, when taking of AFC deep down and you gotta turn the engine to see em!!
also on the side of the pump through a plug that uses a 7/8 socket!

check for free rack travel first, then look for a problem with the governor spring assembly,
(if the spring studs should be bent, the springs are a pain to get out!)
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM

Going to try to tackle this again today. Have the intake horn tract or whatever off, throttle still stuck. On a positive note, it started right up. I have fuel rainbow from behind the engine though, guess it's time to replace them hoses.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:15 AM

sound like something has come loose inside the pump
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 AM

Did you ever find what was wrong with the pump?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM

Well I've been driving it like this ever since. I've made a couple other threads. Basically the nut/bolt that adjusts in the back plate of the governor got loose and fell down into the pump seemingly bending the governor studs? I took the pump off, had the bolt fished out, put it back on, and it's still erratic. I turned up the idle to keep it running, and have been driving it that way ever since. Sucks on cold starts, and on take-off, no power, but otherwise it runs fine for the most part. Even drove from TX to MA and back in December during the winter up there and had no problems.

Once I get to Maryland and settled in I'll have the governor rebuilt or at least try to straighten out the studs.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Have you tried straightening the studs? I was helping my brother install his 3GSK recently and while barring over the engine, managed to bend a governor stud. We didn't run it like that but I imagine it would have ran rough. We straightened it out with a pipe- its back within an 1/8" as far as I can tell. This thing runs like a scalded dog now with the 3GSK and #11 plate. Time to get a real clutch in it though as its slipping like crazy...

edit: I did read a few of the other threads you posted about this. Bizarre symptoms. Hope you get it running smooth again...