12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

I Thank my pump is cavitating?? cutting out and blowing BLUE SMOKE! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I Thank my pump is cavitating?? cutting out and blowing BLUE SMOKE! PLEASE HELP!!

I have a lightly modded 12 valve. I'm having big problems with it cutting out when i get on it for a few secs. If i stomp it, It will pull hard for about 2 secs thin totaly fall on its face. it fills like its defueling and start cutting out and poping. Its not the govenor because it will start this crap it like 1800 rpm. When it starts poping it blows puffs of blue smoke. If yo get off the gsa and let it chill for a sec you can get right back on it and it will take off thin start the processes all over agian. lately its been missing when i start it in the morning. It will quickly clear out of it but never the less its a major miss. It never started doing this untill i put the fuel plate in it,

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!! PLEASE!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 PM

This may or may not matter, I just now thought maybe sence i streched the bypass spring out, could this be making the Lift pump caviatate?? well now that i thank about it it was doong the before i ever mesed with the bypass spring. ****.............................................. ...................................
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Three things I would check would be fuel pressure, aeration (check the fuel return hose for cracks), and injection timing. These things can all cause what you describe, and are generally the most basic things to start with.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM

When did you last change the fuel filter? On my lightly modded(#11 plate) motor, bringing it back from Texas, I got some bad fuel and it would do the same thing as you describe. Had a hard time holding 70 mph closer to home, wouldn't boost over 10 psi, and blew blue smoke like crazy. Got it home, changed the fuel filter, and the next day it dyno'd 325 hp with 37 psi boost. Might be something to look at. I can almost guarantee it's the problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 PM

well.... alright i must admit Ive never changed the fuel filter. I got the truck about a mouth ago and just been fixing it up and over looked that part. I WILL do that tomorrow. It has two fuel filters on it ( weird ) one is factory and one is mounted up bu the hood it says shiede diesel. I guess its some kind if ** extra** precaution filter, Its last in line.

But ya KAS83 I cant hardly even get going on the highway because of this. let alone get it to 80 and hold it. its literly like letting off the gas when it starts this crap. I also thought about the lift pump. BUT BTW how do i check for fuel pressure once i change out my filters?? And hay thank you guys ! Ill let you know when the parts stores open up in the morn.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike,

It's almost certainly the fuel filter. Don't worry about anything else till you change that.

John
Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
BUT BTW how do i check for fuel pressure once i change out my filters??
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...41&postcount=9
Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM

YES! YES! this never happens to me! It was the filters. The first looked like it had red crap in it. I honestly thought it was time for a lift pump and or a fuel injection pump. I'm gonna put a fuel pressure gauge on it so if this happens again i dont have to guess and bother u gentleman.
BUT i do want to thank you all so very very much! if there's anything i can help with please ask! Thank you! michael.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats the way is supposed to work here... Good to hear a happy outcome that wasn't a ton of dough to fix..
Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM

again thank you all!