12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

how to get to 400hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to get to 400hp

I bought another truck to drive for my every day truck. I am planning on a complete rebuild of my 95. Not the engine but everything else.
It is going to be a toy from now on.
I was wondering the best way to get to 400hp. Possibly more later, but for now that is the benchmark. Will a stock turbo get me there?
I know I will need injs.and DVs. Got a 3k GS kit on order.
What else?
New stock lift pump and fuel lines from tank.
Other stuff is listed in sig.
What are some of your combinations?
Thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 AM

I wouldnt go bigger than 191 DV's, my 181's move plenty of fuel to light twins (3/4 throttle will build 60psi easily) and it doesn't smoke like a pig.
Get the 4k gsk inner spring (like $17) to go with your 3k kit. Most everyone I know moves up to the 4k kit shortly after installing the 3k.
As for a turbo, also of people have said good things about the ED 62/68/13ss.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 PM

You'll have trouble getting to 400 on a stock turbo, look at my signature, that only made right around 400rwhp. Like Big said, go with 4GSK, lots of timing and big injectors. If you want to stay in the 400/450 range I would go with a just a regular old "Super B" turbo, they spool really well.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 AM
RCW

If the engine and turbo is sound you can get 400 horses easy with the OEM turbo, but you will have a serious heating problem with clearing the exhaust.

At the mileage you list I would suspect the exhaust valve seats are cracked, they do not live much past 300,000 miles if you have worked the truck at all. If you need a replacement head get one from a first generation made in late 92 through 93 and clean up the ports.

I would approach this a bit differently and concentrate on the exhaust, such as an ATS exhaust manifold and then go with a real 4" turbo outlet (pay attention to the turbo outlet, it does no good to install a larger downpipe on the OEM outlet without solving the constipation right at the turbo outlet), 4" downpipe, and the exhaust needs to be roughly 72" of 4". Then take the injection pump to a shop with a good bench, and have the lead set up to 6 degrees, and then do your static pump timing on the rig at 16.5 to 17.5.

Unless you are mixing saw oil in the fuel to get the viscosity back up to design specifications for the 95, it is also a very good idea to have an injector shop bump the pop off pressure by 15%. That way you will burn the new lighter fuel instead of just puking it out the tailpipe as useless smoke.

If you stay with the original head, there is a serious shrouding problem in #1 intake and exhaust ports, so clean out the casting intrusions that are used for accessory bolts and open up the port around the exhaust valve. Also, pay some attention to #4 and 6 as they tend to overheat too.

With your existing fuel plate and these mods you will easily beat 400 horses, and you are building the foundation for future serious horsepower increases as you go to a larger or dual turbo, modified delivery valves, and bigger injectors.

If you are going to really work those 400 horses, stud the head and use a good aftermarket solid copper headgasket to avoid lifting the head off the block from the new combustion pressures. If it is just a street ***** to impress the locals, then you do not need to stud the head as you will never sustain the combustion pressures long enough to stretch the head bolts.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 PM

RCW,
You speak of cracked exhaust valve seats, are these a replaceable seat or are they part of the head itself.
I have never had the head off this truck to see.
What is the benefit of the 92-93 head?
I am not sure what you mean by lead on the inj pump.
Pop off pressure. You are speaking if the injectors I assume.
If so I plan on replacing them. There is a set of 370's in a local trader paper for $200.00. Used but said to be good.
In the #1 port there is acc. bolt csting intrusions. You don't remove them completely I asume. or is it something that is not used for an actual accessory.
Sorry if I sound ignorant but I have only delt with bolt on accessories.
Thanks to all for the advice.
I think I need to move this thread to the performance forum.