12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.
View Poll Results: How'd you mount 'em
Inside box
84.21%
Outside box
7.89%
Why would you stack it?
7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How did/would you mount your stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did/would you mount your stacks?

I was just wondering how you guys mount your stacks. For all I know I am a part of a VERY small majority; I mount my stacks outside of the bed. My theory on stacks is simple:
1) No holes to cut
2) No worries about cargo crushing your pipes/getting burned
3) It looks better IMHO
4) It's different; I've always been one to do things differently

Now, I realize that it's not chrome, but I am currently too poor to go chrome or even duals. What I had was layin around at the shop so it was free. I was considering some black engine enamel so it doesn't look too horrible... All I care is that it gets the smoke (early moring cold starts) overhead and sounds darn good... I also posted some pics in 2nd gen performance on my homemade bumper... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=132130

Now for some pics
Attached Thumbnails How did/would you mount your stacks?-stack-1.jpg   How did/would you mount your stacks?-stack-2.jpg  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 AM

For all I know I am a part of a VERY small majority; I mount my stacks outside of the bed.
Yes my fellow Santiago... You are a part of the VERY,VERY,VERY small maority... I voted inside bed, heck, one small hole doesnt bother me...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 AM

inside the box for me and a max of 2-3 inches above the cab...i'm also a fan of the square tubing ....i tried it with the elbows and y-split pipe...and i tried it with the stacks a foot above the cab...it looked great fron the front cause u saw the big pipes but they looked like lil tooth pics from behind...

but to each their own...i won't discourage anyone from doign something that they're excited about
Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 PM

I build and sell the cross boxes like I had in my 97, I am not to kean on the outof the box look, but whatever floats your boat....., heres mine, er, a ANDY505"s truck now!!!

here is the lower heat shield

here is the crossbox...

Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

That stack mounted outside of the bed looks like it would not only grab every branch and piece of brush that you drove by, but by being routed well below the frame as it is would also be a prime candidate to be crushed or other damaged during offroad use.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Heres mine;
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM

I gotta say Racer9, that has got to be the cleanest looking pair of stack Ive seen!!! Very Nice...!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by doodah
I build and sell the cross boxes like I had in my 97, I am not to kean on the outof the box look, but whatever floats your boat....., heres mine, er, a ANDY505"s truck now!!!

here is the lower heat shield

here is the crossbox...

yeppers! stacks all the way! (inside box)
Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 PM

TJ: do you have to worry about rain and what not getting down the stacks?

i guess if you use it every day it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM

I used to have a 4" single turnout routed the same exact way on my old F-150 (yeah I know it was a ford but it was $50 and all I had to do was put a clutch in it). I went all over the place off road with that truck and never had a problem, albeit it was about level with the cab, it never caught on anything. Fact is my cross member on my truck now will hit LONG before my exhaust will... I plan on fabricating my own cross member soon since I've already managed to peel mine back a bit. Also, the rule of thumb; so long as I'm not worried about my mirrors being taken off I'm not worried about my stack(s). Now obviously the stack on my truck now is quite a bit taller than the cab, but it's a 2wd whereas my ford was a 4x4... I don't have any intentions of taking this one off-road; that's what I have beaters/service trucks for. But seriously, I paid for 4' of chrome and I wanted to show all of it off; I even had the chrome 90* to come out from under the bed with. Same goes with this truck it's gonna be getting dual 5" x 6' chrome turnouts with the chromed 90's same as my previous set-up and I want to show it all off.

Now I know that you can build heat shields to go around the splitter box and the like in the bed, but still there's gonna be a hole in the bed and then 4x8 sheets of sheetrock/plywood or studs can't fit in the back without putting the tailgate down.

To each their own though; I see that I do have a few similar thinking DTR members by the way the poll tallies up. Leave a little feedback too you fellow "outside the box" minority members...