12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

HELP!!! Not Running! No Fuel to the pump!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Not Running! No Fuel to the pump!

Alright, I just got my truck back from having the T-case rebuilt, and the fuel was low when I had it towed to the shop, well my mechanic put in "Kerosene" to get it running, since it was sputtering. Well I put another $20 worth of real diesel back in it after I picked it up, and its been stalling, sputtering, and finally...stalling out on me while I was driving down the road. When it would start, it wouldn't idle long, then it would sputter and die, no matter how much pedal I gave it.

I popped off an injector line, and nothing spits out. However, when I open the fuel filter bowl, it will spit fuel and is pressurized. It seems like their is compressed air behind the fuel when it comes out. I have it sitting at the shop, inside, where its 48*. It has been cold outside, but I don't think its been below 10* while it sat.

What do you guys think? Fuel filter? Fuel itself? Lift Pump? Pre-heater/Filter screen? Something else?

Please get back to me, I just dropped about $4K into the truck, and can't afford any more, so I'm hoping somebody has gone through this before and fixed it.

I still have to replace some electrical stuff, and fix vacuum lines too, what a PITA this truck has become.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Your truck is doing the same thing mine is. Check and make sure the fuel shut-off selenoid arm goes in the up position while cranking, if not, do it manually to get it running, then remedy. Also, when I've gotten bad fuel before, it sputters, blows black smoke, and the dies. Adding diesel service and topping off w/good fuel solved it.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Try posting this in the HELP forum as well.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...splay.php?f=97
Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Posted in the HELP section as well.

The Solenoid is shot, I know this already, the relay is shorted out, but I have it tied in the up position, so the truck should run. I just (this morning) poured in some PS 911, while I was replacing the fuel filter, and I filled the filter canister with 1/3 PS 911 like it says to on the bottle.

I figured I need to give it time to have an effect, and I need to charge the battery anyways, so I'll give it a shot at lunch. I just don't understand why it would be pressurized like it seems to be, and with air?

Any other suggestions guys?