12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Help adjusting timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help adjusting timing

Truck: 1994 CTD, 12v, 2wd, Banks Stinger Plus, 127,000 miles

I have been reading a lot of posts on advancing the timing so I looked into it last night. Since I am a begninner mechanic, I have a few questions:

1. I took off the hex bolt of the AFC housing and saw the spring and the star wheel. Which way do you turn the star wheel it to advance and

2. How do you know to which degree you just moved it to?

3. How does one determine which degree it is at currently?

As always, thanks in advance (pun intended) for the help.

Greg
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM

Re:Help adjusting timing

I dont know much about adjusting the timing, but I do know that is not how it is done,the star wheel is used to adjust pre boost fueling, turn it towards the front of the truck for more turn it towards the cab for less.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:47 PM

Indeed, timing adjustment is a bit more complex. What you are doing is fine-tuning your fueling schedule by turning the star-wheel. Do a search. There are a couple of recent threads on what it takes to advance the timing on your 2nd gen truck. It takes some special tools and a lot more know-how than I have.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:05 AM

Your right. I am interested in advancing the fueling schedule. I just got confused after reading some of the posts that sounded like advancing the timing but I guess they were talking about advancing the fuel timing on the injector pump.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 AM

If you're looking to move the stock plate forward, you can use these instructions:
http://www.tstproducts.com/power_install.html
They'll work for that purpose, even though they are for installing a different fuel plate. The starwheel is just for fine-tuning, so you won't get much out of clicking that all the way forward. You can do a search on fuel plate sliding and you'll find a ton of threads on it. I did it a few months back, then ended up cutting on my stock fuel plate because it wasn't enough. Be careful. This stuff gets addictive and expensive!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:44 PM

Fuel timing is thee timing. That is, our engines are "PT" (pressure timed). The star wheel has nothing to do with timing, it is for pre-boost fueling. Turn it towards the engine and you will get more pre-boost fueling, more smoke due to a rich mix as the lag catches up.

To time a PT engine you are setting the pump to max out (Pressure) at the ideal piston position (BTDC), there are a few sites, I believe Piers Diesel Research has one on timing. You CPL number (on the gearcase tag) must be had in order to properly time your engine.

Tools: not so bad

Delivery valve wrench
Indicator
Indicator holder
Normal mechanics tools
PATIENCE
CLEAN THE PUMPS EXTERIOR FIRST

Read and understand it and you can do it.

Michael

DO NOT GET YOUR TIMING SPECS FROM THE BIG GREEN BOOK!
Old 09-07-2003, 05:59 PM

The P7100 pump is NOT a "PT" injection system .... the PT is far different from what you have on your 6B ... there are variations of the PT system .. The PT system uses a uses an injector that is fired from the engine camshaft ( timing ) pressure comes from the injection pump. You will find this system on engines such as the V-903 series ... 855 sesries and others ....

Old 09-07-2003, 09:06 PM

Rammin,

Can you please explain what determines when injection occurs....I was told that the reason "pop off" tests on our injectors is so important due to pressure being the factor of when injection occurs.

TIA

Michael

Edit: Upon "hitting the books" I find that Rammin is correct. We do not have PT on the B blocks. On PT the fuel is delivered to the injectors and the injectors are opened by a cam. Fuel metering is determined by rail pressure and flow time.

Our pumps are "port & helix" that is variable in delivery of fuel dependent on the position of the ports in the sleeves (cylinders) which is turned by a rack gear and changed by boost/load. Timing is obtained by the position of the pumps pistons in relation to the engines pistons position.

This is the reason Diesels are superior to Gasoline engines...fueling varies according to the load. Diesels average a 85 to 1 air to fuel mixture while gasoline engines average 25 to 1 mix....AVERAGE...great word.

Like Dad said....stay in school!