12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

HELP! 97 12valve 5 speed no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 97 12valve 5 speed no start

So I recently bought a 97 12 valve, bought it to kinda mess around with and eventually hopefully really build up, well I started with 4K GSK and 60# valve springs. That alone made a big difference, now onto where my issues began, I took my fuel plate out, intentions were to get it ground down to #0 then reinstall it. Well on my way to my buddies to do so, (first time driving it without the fuel plate installed) I got on it a little to hard and now in retrospect think I slipped the timing, however new to the 5.9 12 valve world it wasn’t my first thought, once I slowed down to about 1200 rpm And lower I noticed a knock and billowing smoke that just smelled like unburnt fuel, but it cleaned up any higher than that. Afraid something catastrophic was going on I limped it back home. After searching on the forums about my “symptoms” I had it run at idle (where the knock was most prominent *side note something that was weird about the knock was I could feel it on the passenger fender and on the air intake of all places and no where else) well upon testing all my injectors the knock disappeared. Naturally I thought that must be culprit so I replaced the injector bled my lines and went to give her another shot. Now it’s cranks and cranks with no sign of wanting to actually run, a friend with a 1st gen mentioned that when his had similar symptoms he sprayed a little starting fluid and let it run and drive and it was fine ever since. I tried his idea and I could only maintain it running if I kept it over 1200 rpm and it seriously billowed smoke, after which it would just drop rpm and I’d get no response from the go pedal what so ever. Where I’m at now, I adjusted my timing back as close as possible to TDC on the truck and pump to match, and reinstalled my plate, with hopes of getting it running again. Now she just cranks and cranks with no hopes of starting and nothing visually coming from the exhaust. I have no drop in my coolant level at all and oil smells a little like it may have fuel in it. I’m at a total loss, which can’t be saying much as I’m learning as I go
Old 08-30-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Check the FSS is attached and working properly.