12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Have a new problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2024, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a new problem

After the fire, I cleaned up the debris and replaced all the fuses and relays boom success been starting and driving since the date of the last post
yesterday and of course it has to be on my birthday in the morning. I started and shut it off two and three times stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for coffee came back out and nothing turn the key and nothing immediately thinking the starter went out as this is happened once before in the past, I replaced the starter exact same problem, jump the starter manually and spins over like gangbusters, but will not energize the fuel shut off and start recheck all the fuses and relays all good battery voltage at 12 four Turn to key to start position and nothing Have power to the cigarette lighter and lights, but will not crank and start All the visible wiring appears to be intact And has power to the alternator so I'm at a loss. It has been suggested to replace the fuse box and wiring. But it makes no sense. It started and run for all this time. And like a light switch. Nothing where could it possibly be that I am not getting power I even checked terminals in the fuse box Connected with the engine running it has power check the fuses and they were good so what component am I missing? is it possible? The ignition switch is not activating and sending power out like I say you can jump the starter while in the truck and it'll spin over but won't fire because it will not energize the fuel shut off solenoid So where am I losing power? I am not a genius with wiring. But I checked all the basics I can think of, and I can't see what could possibly make this happen like a light switch turning off please help PAul
Old 09-17-2024, 02:16 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Originally Posted by dodge3296
After the fire, I cleaned up the debris and replaced all the fuses and relays boom success been starting and driving since the date of the last post
yesterday and of course it has to be on my birthday in the morning. I started and shut it off two and three times stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for coffee came back out and nothing turn the key and nothing immediately thinking the starter went out as this is happened once before in the past, I replaced the starter exact same problem, jump the starter manually and spins over like gangbusters, but will not energize the fuel shut off and start recheck all the fuses and relays all good battery voltage at 12 four Turn to key to start position and nothing Have power to the cigarette lighter and lights, but will not crank and start All the visible wiring appears to be intact And has power to the alternator so I'm at a loss. It has been suggested to replace the fuse box and wiring. But it makes no sense. It started and run for all this time. And like a light switch. Nothing where could it possibly be that I am not getting power I even checked terminals in the fuse box Connected with the engine running it has power check the fuses and they were good so what component am I missing? is it possible? The ignition switch is not activating and sending power out like I say you can jump the starter while in the truck and it'll spin over but won't fire because it will not energize the fuel shut off solenoid So where am I losing power? I am not a genius with wiring. But I checked all the basics I can think of, and I can't see what could possibly make this happen like a light switch turning off please help PAul
Year of truck would help me help you.

My first guess IF it is a '89-'93 is the FSS wire end is loose or fell off.
Old 09-17-2024, 02:34 PM

19 9812 valve Cummins

Sorry, the first post had that in there as far as year and make so I should've put that in my second one
1998 2500 5.9 Cummins hope this helps
Old 09-17-2024, 02:47 PM

Have you checked if the FSS arm is lifting up all the way when you turn the key on?
The truck will act just as yours is if it is acting up if the arm is not moving up enough.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:02 PM

FSS are

There's no power going to the fuel shut off solenoid will not energize when you're turning the key or if you jump it at the starter with the key on will not energize and start use the key. You get nothing but you can manually jump the starter and it will the engine will turn over, did this with the key on in run position and manually, jumping the starter spins over and will not fire
Same as if you use the key in the start position will not spin over and start using the key
Old 09-17-2024, 03:04 PM

Could it be?

This is why I am thinking of 26 years old and the key was very hard to turn that the switch is gone bad
Old 09-17-2024, 03:15 PM

YES,
It could be the key switch itself.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2024, 03:20 PM

What I am thinking

Heaven been repaired and running for two months and then all of a sudden in the same day startingthat three times the fourth time nothing this is what I am thinking also thanks
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Does anyone know?

[QUOTE=dodge3296;3390420]Heaven been repaired and running for two months and then all of a sudden in the same day startingthat three times the fourth time nothing this is what I am thinking also thanks
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Looking for information

I have read somewhere that there was a recall on the wiring harness in the steering column for wearing the wires through Is this a common problem on my older 98 Dodge ram 2500 also I've read there is a probability if the ignition switches turning hard it is the indication of a bad switch. Mine has been hard to turn for over a year when I recently got out of the hospital. I had difficulties turning key at all to get it to start. On the older vehicle do the switches were out pretty commonly I am at a loss. Also when the key is in the off position, I seem to hear clicking noises for extended period time and then it'll stop and start up again later like somethings not turning off and of course, the drains the battery. Is this another indication of a bad switch.