12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Have to hold ign. for awhile to get started

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to hold ign. for awhile to get started

A friend of mine just got a 97 cummins and he has to hold the ignition for awhile (he says 30 seconds) after it starts to keep it running. Then once it running it's fine but somethimes doesn't want to shutoff right away. Any ideas????? I was thinking the starter contacts.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be the fuel shutdown solenoid. The fuel shutdown solenoid consists of a "Hold" coil and a "pull" coil. THe "pull" coil takes a lot of current and turns on when your cranking and causes the solenoid plunger to pull up and start fuel flowing. THe "Hold" coil maintains the plunger in the up position after the ignition key returns from the START to RUN position.

The "Pull" solenoid sounds like its working but the "Hold" solenoid is not holding. Next time try manually pulling up on the fuel shutdown solenoid plunger while starting and see if it keeps running with you holding it up. If it does it could be a bad fuel solenoid.

The starter contacts can be worn and cause hard starting problems too. When the starter contacts get worn they can stick on and burn up the fuel solenoid. Might be worth pulling the starter and checking it out.

Go to this site for fuel solenoid and upgraded starter contacts:

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

Here is a thread with lots of help on your problem and with pics:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=192635

Of course you could have a bad ignition switch but its hard to tell from your description of the symptoms. Need a little more info.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 AM

I'll get back with you later on today with some more details. He's gonna bring it over so I can look at it.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM

it might not even be a bad solenoid. my friend had a worn out boot over the springs and it got a little rusty inside the solenoid but some carb cleaner and wd-40 made it work like new.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Well he bought it over today. The plunger doesn't come up with the ignition in the run position. It should right? If cranks on it and I help up the plunger it runs fine, but doesn't always shutdown when turned off right away. I think the relay needs to be replaced, what you think?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 AM

Or as stated before it could have a little rust in there causing it to stick. I would take it apart clean and lube it. If nothing else then you can rest assured the solenoid will continue to work for a long time all lubed up.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 AM

It should come up in the START position it will hold or stay up in the run position.