12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Guages installed, boost problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guages installed, boost problem...

Yesterday i finally installed my boost gauge and my pyrometer on my truck. I remove the little plug on the intake to put my nipple and installed my hose. I took the truck for a ride and The boost take forever to rise and at WOT i can barely get 10psi and the EGT are at 1100F, the truck smoke. It's like that since i have it ( smoke issue ). I removed the silencer ring and i have a K&N ; the turbo whistle like an 18 wheelers so IMO it spool but does it make boost ?

After a quick check, i found that the hose at the actuator is cutted and plugged by rust.. I tried to move the actuator rod with hand and it doesn't move..

Question is, can the wastegate be seized open? Is there any tips to remove the turbo? The 4 bolt that hold it there seems rusty and very hard to loose.. I can heat 3 of them with my torch but the 4th one..

Thanks,
Marc/
Old 12-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Anyone ?

Marc/
Old 12-26-2005, 04:51 PM
JKM

It sounds like you have a problem elsewhere Marc , if the wastegate was to cease open , the turbo would not spool very well at all, Check all of your charge air cooler boots, make sure they are all seated , and the clamps are tight , and check them all very closely for rips or tears. If you can't find anything this way , you can make a pressure tester out of some various pvc pipe parts , and a valve stem for a tire , insert it into the air intake (pre turbo will work fine) and air it up to 10 psi first , if you cannot hear any leaks , try 15 or 20 psi.

Also , make sure your boost gauge doesn't have any leaks in the line that could cause it to read low.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:13 PM

JKM,

I'll take a look at the piping closely.. The actuator rod is seized so i won't have any choice but to replace it and remove the turbo..

The gauge is brandnew as the hose, so i hope that there's no leaks with it..

Thanks for the tips..

Marc/
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 PM
JKM

I meant to check your connections on the hose and the gauge , they might not be sealed.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:16 PM

I recently installed my gauges and found I had very little boost and high egts. Ended up having a clamp missing on from turbo to intercooler. Which in turn was most likely the cause of my exhaust manifold splitting in two completely.

Now with boost leak found, I get 27 to 28 at WOT.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Almost always when a wastegate freezes up it's in the closed position
No big deal at all, many people do this on purpose. No damage will occur until you start pushing the boost above 35psi, spool up will be just as fast since the wastegate doesn't open till over 20 in the stock configuration.
I think the reasons for your low boost is you aren't putting enough fuel to it or the line to your gauge has a kink in it.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Almost always when a wastegate freezes up it's in the closed position
No big deal at all, many people do this on purpose. No damage will occur until you start pushing the boost above 35psi, spool up will be just as fast since the wastegate doesn't open till over 20 in the stock configuration.
I think the reasons for your low boost is you aren't putting enough fuel to it or the line to your gauge has a kink in it.
About the fueling issue, it's stock so at least i shoud have ~17psi if the WS was frozen close.. I will look again at the line to the gauge and the IC piping clamps..

I removed the plug on the intake, near the front of the truck to put my gauge line.. I just hope it's a good place..

Marc/
Old 12-29-2005, 01:30 AM

Im pretty sure your wastegate wouldnt be frozen open. It takes a LOT of pressure to move the wastegate actuator rod. I had to get some vise grips on mine to move it, and I had to pull pretty hard. You might try that before you get into other things. I dont think its a turbo problem. Make sure and check all your boost connection's as was said, and if you can; pressure test the system to see if you can hear any leaks. You should definatley get more than 11psi. Also like someone said; make sure your boost gauge doesent have a kink or hole or anything in it. Good luck

Eric
Old 12-30-2005, 09:24 AM

Marc, if you've checked and all is as it should be on the charge-air side of the turbo, maybe your Catalytic converter is plugged up causing high turbine backpressure and high EGT's??(assuming you still HAVE your Cat )

When I first got my(new to me) '97 she ran like a tired old dog on the highway . I read-up on TDR and DTR about plugged cats... I cobbled up a crude boost pressure gauge to watch for symptoms after changing filters and getting no improvement.
DC's reported initial recommended fix was to tie onto a large trailer and tow it up a long hill wide-open!
Hmmm,... No trailer, and in S. Texas, definitely no hills... (No EGT meter until much later.)
So, I started dumping Stanadyne additive to it and blowing the dog-poop out of it on an isolated stretch of the causeway...
At first, it would hardly make 85mph and 13psi boost... (I wished I had an EGT back then to find out how high it was initially)
A few days later, I noticed it had a bit more boost and top end...
Every day on the way home from work, I'd top it out... After a week or so, it had more top end than I had the nerve, tires or causeway to find out!
At present, with the good tires, it'll quickly run up to a little bit over 100mph(until gov-defuels), the boost peaks up to a good 27psi, EGT hits ~1150degF all on a stock, un-tweaked 180hp motor with stock filter box and exhaust.

K.