12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

good amount of oil leakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question good amount of oil leakage

I have had some good amount of oil leakage underneath the engine I'm sure its not from the timing cover as it looks like owner took care of KDP as case has new gasket sealant when I bought it I had it checked out and they steam cleaned the engine and seems like the tube is pretty gunky and oil is all over lower motor starter front dif steering stabilizer shock bell housing tranny.Doesn't seem to lose much oil a quart or so between 3500-5000 mile change Any more info I can get to you please ask, THANK YOU
Old 04-06-2006, 01:20 AM

check the vacuum pump,the seal between the power steering pump and the vacuum pump is a common problem,
Old 04-06-2006, 05:14 PM

There is also a large cover on the side of the block under the injection pump. I think it's called the lifter gally cover. It has a gasket that is known to leak. Mine leaks from there but from what I have read here you have to remove the injection pump to replace the gasket. Not sure if thats true or not.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:52 PM
RCW

In addition to the vacuum pump and lifter gallery cover as possible candidates, crawl under the truck and reach right up behind the front damper and pull out the cat poop that builds up there. If it is really oily, clean that area and look for a drool from the front main seal when the engine is running.

The lifter gallery cover can be tightened without removal of the injection pump, but it takes a bit of gymnastics. You have to remove the plastic noise cover and then reach in and tighten the row of bolts that holds it on. They are all loose after a few years, and require retightening. After you tighten it, clean each of the bolt heads with brake cleaner and put a drop of green loctite on each to wick in and hold them from working loose again. That plastic valve gallery noise cover is in the trash with the plastic valve cover top for my truck, but reinstall it if you want.

While you are under the truck, retorque the oil cooler cover and the oil pan bolts, they will be loose too.

If it is the front main seal do not buy a new one until after you remove the old one and check the crankshaft for wear on the machined surface where the seal rubs. The new seals are available in a special undersize kit that fixes that wear, if it is present.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 PM

I will look into those area first chance I get I always get a few drops evey wear I stop not sure if it leaks much more while running it drips down on the front driff and drops off there. THANK YOU