12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Gas engine to diesel swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas engine to diesel swap

Hello,

I've searched around here a little bit and was wondering.

My Dad might sell me his 97 2500 ext cab cummins 5 speed 4x4. It is totaled. It needs some work but the engine tranny and driveline are all in good shape. So he offered to sell that to me for $800. If i buy it do you think i could find a cheap 2500 gas job and put the diesel in it?

first off i want a regular cab. So it would be very easy to find a 2500 reg cab truck for me to use.

I want to know are the frames any different? I had heard at one time that the diesel engines had heavier frames? I would be using the 4.10 axles out of the cummins truck so the axles would not be an issue.

I just want to get your opinions on this. I currently have a 1500 with a V8 and i have been looking for a Cummins for a couple years. This might be a good opportunity for me. Also it will save my dad some time in rebuilding his poor truck. He doesn't have any time as it is right now and the last thing he needs to do is rebuild his truck.

Let me know if you think this would be a good idea or not.

Thank you,

Kody

edit: I also realize the front suspension is different. The front suspension on Dad's truck is still intact. the only thing wrong with it is the front clip radiator intercooler the bed and the frame looks like a banana...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they're different- you'd have to swap out the dash, all engine mgt. wiring, fuel tanks (or drain & clean the old one VERY WELL), they have diff radiators, tranny coolers (I think), etc. its a pain. I was going to have one swapped & best quote I got was about $3300. Its easier to find a diesel truck with a bad engine, unless you have lots of parts & time on your hands............. good luck
Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the frames are different also on a 1/2 & 3/4 ton
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM

i did it, wasnt bad at all... but i started with a good v-10 truck, and wrecked cummins, that is the way to go... same trans bellhousing, just need to chande pcm and engine harness, and put in radiator and intercooler
Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 AM

I don't think you are getting the picture here.

I have a wrecked cummins with all the parts i need except for sheet metal and the frame is shot. it needs a Radiator, intercooler, ac condensor ( radiator thing ) and a little bt of work to the engine.

I would be swapping it into a 2500 4x4 reg cab with a 5.9 V8 and an auto tranny probably. i would just take the V8 auto tranny and tansfer case out of the donor truck. then i would put the Cummins NV4500 and the transfer case into the gas truck. I would also swap the axles and front suspension. The Cummins engine from what i hear really only needs 2 wires to run right?

The wire to the starter, and the fuel shut off solenoid wire.

I would be swapping the dash gauge panel and i would prolly swap the other electronics as well.

I just want to know if you guys think it would be a good idea or not. I do not have enough money to buy a truck but i think i could build one

Thanks,

Kody

edit: I would love to find a diesel truck with a bad engine... But it is very rare to find a blown cummins. I don't know as i have ever seen one for sale.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM

it is still very simple... but doing the an auto/manual swap is just time consuming, the other thing is, you have to get thr correct year to do the swap, or there will be an electrical disaster, i believe the 94-95, 96-97, 98-98.5 12valves all have different elactrical systems...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 PM

Don't know what state your in, but passing inspections and emissions can be tough with a truck with a VIN calling for gas and catalytic converter and now has a diesel with no converter. Before spending money I would check into this.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Hmm. Will i would probably be taking most of the wiring from the cummins and puttin it onto the gas truck. so that shouldn't be a big problem. The cummins is a 97. and im not sure what year gas truck i will end up with. Probably a 94-95 because that seems to be what im finding that are cheap.

I don't have to worry about emissions or inspection. I just take down the brake measurements tire tread and stuff like that and run it out to my Buddy's garage and he puts a sticker on that day

I am seriously thinking more and more about this. My want for a cummins is unbelievable. I loved to drive dad's before it got wrecked.

Kody
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 PM

The frame on a gas truck is not as strong(about 2" less hight on the rails) I wouldn't see that as a huge issue if your running a stock cummins and don't tow. According to a destructive testing engineer I was talking to a while ago these trucks will twist the cummins frame in half over time if worked hard so if thats your goal the gas frame isn't going to cut it. As far as the wiring the easiest way to do it is going to be a complete swap of the of every wire from the Diesel into the body of the gas truck. I'm not sure about the mounting of the engine in a gas frame. Other than the springs the front suspention should be the same between a gas and diesel but again I'm not 100% sure on that. It will be a lot of work and take a lot of time and even more time to do it right and you still end up with a weaker frame. It's your call I'm just giving what I'm aware of.