12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

fuel suppy question? {fuel pump}

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel suppy question? {fuel pump}

Trying to simplify and delete any thing not needed or used on this 97 12v. Remember its track only, ok not thinking i need this fuel heater and pre filter. But it bolts on behind the fuel pump? The inlet to the pump from the heater looks like 1/2" thats good- i plan to run a 1/2" now from the fuel cell to the pump and delete the other. Has anyone else done this, oh and i do plan to runthe factory filter system, see no reason not to and its there. Just want to remove the heater- also has any ran 1/2" from the fuel pump on up to the p7100? Thanks, thoughts?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM

If this is truly a track vehicle, I see no problems bypassing the fuel heater and prefilter. Is the fuel cell new? If not you should probably clean it out so you don't ruin your lift pump seals. If it is, it would probably be a good idea to buy a marine prefilter to filter the diesel before it goes into the tank. Running your line straight to you lift pump should be fine.

Running larger lines to your IP would require some adaptors to eliminate all of the banjo bolts and rigid lines. I would be hesitant about running anything but thick walled lines from the lift pump to the injection pump because the lift pump creates some large pressure spikes.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM

How much HP are you looking to run in the end? You might want to go with a stand alone electric lift pump with filters and all that jazz from the get go. The stock mech. LP is good for somewhere around 600-650, so if you plan on going past that, might want to just skip the stock LP and go big off the bat. JMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Man i wished i knew where id end up power wise but this is my first p-pump build and not sure. I will start with the mech. pump due to a new one being on the engine i just got and see where it takes me. I will have a mech. fuel press. gauge in easy sight and plan on keeping a close eye on it. Plan on stsrting with the factory relieve and make a pass or 2 then replacing it with the one i got from pure perf. and see the differance. I now know not to let it get under 25psi or so. Anyone ever completly removed the heater, did you have to make a spacer to go inplace of it due to it being behind the pump? I plan on going out later and getting a better look at this and come up w/ a plan. Just wanted other input and see if others have been there. Any other fuel suggestions..Thanks guys Ryan