12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Fuel filter assembly ...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fuel filter assembly ...?

Hi guys I picked up a used 96 12valve with 100,000 ...it took a hit in the front rear axle .
I got the truck to my shop ...I was trying all morning to get her fired up ... removed the bad fuel ... oiled up the linkage ...It some rust on it , i had to remove the fuel shut off solinoid .
I got to cranking her over ... that was fine , but no fuel was geting to the lift pump ...If I pumped the plunger I would get a little spert from the filter bleed ... I pressure tested the lines , I thought may be a leak in a line ...not the case .
I found the wires that lead from the screen filter were cut at the connector ends ...I can't figure out why they would do that .
What do those wires control ... could that be the reason for no fuel ...or my lift pump went south .
The wire on the top and the one on the lower part of the screen housing .
Thanks guys .
Greg
Old 02-11-2006, 02:29 PM

The wires your talking about , I think are the fuel heater , try hooking a small fuel container to the lift pump and hold higher than the LP to see if it will take fuel , then if it starts , lower the cantainer to see if it sucks fuel .
Old 02-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The heater wires you cut should make no difference.
I'm thinking there isn't enough fuel in the tank, you'll need at least 5 gallons.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Smile re: lift pump

Thnaks for the help ...will a lift pump go bad from sitting ... I have had a run on cummins powered trucks these past 2 weeks ... the first was 2002 ... that one fire right up .
The story with this trcuk is the guy was out drinking and I guess he desided to go out for drive and that dam tree JUMP right out in front of him ...LOL
Its been sitting a few years ... it was turned over every few months...i know If was me it would have been treated a little better .
So he told me it ran ...this was 2 months ago ...I finally got it out of him the nite he crashed it was the last time he had it on the road .
It's really not a bad hit ...the body was not even touched with the ecception of the front rear and one front fender got a little mushed .
The bed , doors , and lots of other parts are in great shape ...I will be put some of the parts on here for sale .
The motor cranks fine ...I even gave it a ...Hold on too your hat ...starting fluid ...i know ...but before I gave the guy the money for the truck I had to hear it kick for a second .
Once I get her started I will decide If I'm going to put the motor for sale ....I will keep a few items for my 12 valve ...

Dose the 12 valve use a return line ...?
Thanks guys
greg
Old 02-12-2006, 01:49 PM

Yes it does have a return line , I do not think I've ever seen a fuel injected [ gas or diesel ] not have a return .