12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Front wheels: how hot should they feel after driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheels: how hot should they feel after driving?

Maybe this is a little vague to discuss. I have '97 2500 4WD CTD, 128K miles. Haven't had it long enough to know if this is normal, but after coming in off highway speeds, empty, high-80's for weather temp., I happened to feel the front stock, chrome 16-inch wheels. They were both equally very warm...not too hot to touch but very warm. Wouldn't want them any warmer.

I've driven a lot of rigs and nearly all of them only felt slightly warm after driving. Unless a brake was dragging or a wheel bearing was bad.

I have no noise in the front end. And I know a shop could pull the front end apart and check it over to be safe, ($$$)

I'm not sure there is any problem but would like some feedback to see what others notice.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM

I'll have to check what mine feels like, but I would guess that means that your front brakes are doing more work than the rears. These trucks are kinda bad about the rears getting out of adjustment and letting the front pads handle the load. Might feel the backs when you get out too and see if they are equally as warm. If not, that would be my guess.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was very surprised after taking an infrared temp gun to my front rotors after braking just once, they were about 200F
Tried it another time using only gears and the parking brake to stop, rotors stayed cool.
Suggest you try the same experiment, using only the PB to stop and see if they are still hot.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 PM

brake temp

Thanks. Checked again this afternoon in 92-degree weather. Running 13 miles home on empty country roads; little braking except coming into the yard here. Fronts still running pretty warem, and yes, rears are cooler. I did notice today the tires were nearly as hot, both front and rear, so I may be dealing with an ambient temperature situation in this weather.

I think the idea about braking into home with PB and gears is good. I'll try it next time out. My only real concern was with bearings and/or dragging brake pads and I think now neither is a problem.

Dennis