12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Front diff breather tube puked fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front diff breather tube puked fluid

Why would my front diff breather tube suddenly belch fluid?

I have Amsoil fluid in there and it was filled to a bit below the hole.

Any ideas?

Jimmy
Old 06-30-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Haven't figured out what the combination of circumstances it takes to make them puke but most all do it once in while. I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW the correct oil level is 3/4" below the bottom of the fill hole. I've seen quite few start leaking out the axle seals when overfull.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over the course of 2 months I have towed the same load the same route 6 times and two times ago it did it to me too? Go figure? I thought I had a problem but it hasent done it since?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:37 PM

I'd like to know if it has anything to do with the breather malfunctioning, which is a very cheap plastic thing.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could tell you but???????????
I hope some one can shed some light on this.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:50 AM

Theory only-
I think what it takes is getting on a tilt that allows a little oil in the breather line. Oil doesn't come out till much later when the differential gets hot enough to vent thus pushing the oil out.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Haven't figured out what the combination of circumstances it takes to make them puke but most all do it once in while. I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW the correct oil level is 3/4" below the bottom of the fill hole. I've seen quite few start leaking out the axle seals when overfull.
Not to hijack, but if the fluid is leaking out of the axle seal when its too full, does this neccessarily mean the seal is bad? After my front gear install, my drivers side will leak until it gets about 1/2" down from the fill hole and then it stops (from what I can see). I've been stubbornly filling it back up to the bottom of the hole again, watching it spew out all over the inside of my wheel/inner fender/ then refilling. Just waiting to get time to get in there and fix it since its pretty much a complete disasembly of the front axle to get to it. If I haven't done any damage to the seal, I think I'm gonna let it stay where it is! Back to your regularly scheduled thread

MIke
Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 AM

This is exactly what Infidel is talking about. If it is filled to the hole, the fluid may get past the seal. If it stops leaking 1/2 to 3/4" down from the hole that is the way it should act. Your seals are probably fine. Just keep an eye on your fluid levels. Your brakes will also tell you if you have a leak.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Theory only-
I think what it takes is getting on a tilt that allows a little oil in the breather line. Oil doesn't come out till much later when the differential gets hot enough to vent thus pushing the oil out.
I could buy that, considering some of the places I drive in the Rockies. That and a slightly overfull pumpkin.

Jimmy
Old 07-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by MDMIKE
Not to hijack, but if the fluid is leaking out of the axle seal when its too full, does this necessarily mean the seal is bad? After my front gear install, my drivers side will leak until it gets about 1/2" down from the fill hole and then it stops (from what I can see). I've been stubbornly filling it back up to the bottom of the hole again, watching it spew out all over the inside of my wheel/inner fender/ then refilling. Just waiting to get time to get in there and fix it since its pretty much a complete disassembly of the front axle to get to it. If I haven't done any damage to the seal, I think I'm gonna let it stay where it is! Back to your regularly scheduled thread

MIke
I can't count the number of rigs bought to me with a leaking seals that were cured by dropping the fluid to the correct level. It has worked on every single one.
In fact I've had a replacement seal in my glove box for over 150k that I never had to use once the oil level was correct.

It may take several hundred miles for the oil to quit coming out as it's trapped in the axle tube on the wheel side of the seal. You can speed up how long it takes to finally drain by parking your truck tilted towards the leak.

What's funny is factory service manual doesn't mention the correct level but the owner's manual does.

Somewhere along the line, guessing about '99, the specs were changed to fill to the bottom of the hole. I think all they did is lower the fill hole on the cover.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 PM

You're the man Infidel! I'll keep an eye on it, but it looks like you just saved me at least a half day's work! Thanks!

MIke