12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Fixed my tranny, tach, alternator probs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed my tranny, tach, alternator probs.

I am a very happy camper tonight, with some very sore, cracked fingers.

I posted a plea for help in the Help forum Friday last. Read it and then this will make sense. Problem was the traditional hunting in and out of over drive, replaced the tps, etc. In my help Post I detailed what I had done regarding the rewiring of the circuit with shielded wire and the resulting loss of tach, alternator and any over drive. MnTom, God bless you, responded to my pleas for help by giving me the tach sensor location. Saturday at the crack of dawn, I had the front end of the truck in the garage (I have a Stahl utility body with ladder racks--too high for the garage door)and the salamander cranked at max-single digits to lo-teen temps. In replacing the tps wires with shielded, I cut the ground wire from the tps plug, the signal and the power (one is orange with a purple trace and one is purple with a white trace) from the tps plug after I had identified them with a continuity check at the right hand pcm plug. I cut the orange and purple at the pcm connector, connected my shielded wire, set the voltage at idle and wot. I thought I was set to go (see the other post).

Saturday I located the tach sensor and discovered that it also had a purple with white trace wire. Now to the sore cracked fingers. I opened up all of the wire loom, a major PITA. From the front side of the engine, tps and tach side, two purple with white trace wires----at the pcm only one purple with white trace wire. About half way across the top of the firewall, in the loom, I discovered the the purple from tps and purple from tach sensor became one in some sort of a factory splice. Since it might have a resistor or something inside that black sheath, I cut it out and installed it at the pcm end.

I put everything back together and I'll be dipped in sh*t, it worked. I had tach, alternator, OD lock out worked. I did a road test and for the first time in TOOOO LONG my beautiful truck worked like a proper repository for that beautiful CTD.

The tach sensor and tps go to the same pin at the pcm. It makes sense. No more static on the am side of the radio, that shielded wire works. Friday I almost ordered an new pcm from dodge at $478.00, I called to late to get the order in.. Thanks again to MnTom for the feed back and the encouragement to double check my wiring. By the way, the belden 18-2 shielded (free from a job site) and the butt splices would probably set you back about $10.00.

Best to all and thanks.
warden
Old 02-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Congrats Warden. I am glad you got it fixed. You didn't have to say those nice things though (except to my wife ). I just did what anybody else would have done. After all, that is what this site is for. Glad I could help.
Tom
Old 02-08-2004, 08:32 PM

Glad you got it fixed and I also thank you for telling us what you found and how you fixed it. I was following your other thread with interest because I am thinking of doing the TPS wiring shield thing and now I know a little more about what to expect.

It seems that too often I follow a thread with interest and see lots of interesting suggestions from other members on the causes and cures but the thread then dies and I never actually find out what the cause or cure was!

It would be great if everyone could give a quick report on their solutions.

End of sermon!!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good reminder Sidewinder...

We all have to remember to finish out our threads with results (good or bad) as we all would like to learn..

Glad to hear you got it figured out warden, electronic problems have always bit me in the butt. But, some time with a DVM and an open wire loom always seems to point you in the right direction.

J-eh