12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Figure this one out (shutoff solenoid)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figure this one out (shutoff solenoid)

Ok, so long story some what short. I determined that the shutdown solenoid on my truck was bad. You could run a jumper to it straight off the battery to the red and black wire and it would not hold when you pulled up on it. So i ordered a new one and it came in. I plugged it in to the truck before i did anything and presto, it worked like it was supposed to. The old selonoid was an aftermarket one, much bigger then an original, so i had to switch out the holding bracket for it, no big deal. So i get the new one in and turn the key to the on position and i pull up on the solenoid and measure the distance between the bracket and the lever. It was a little off so i pulled it back out and adjusted the shaft length on the solenoid. I put it back in and i turn the key to the on position and pull up on the solenoid and nothing, it wouldnt stay up so now i am . I run a jumper off the battery to the red and to the black wires and try pulling up on it, and again nothing. So i take it back out and look at it. I go into the garage and take my old solenoid apart to see what is inside of them. Not much just a shaft and a spring. So i put the old one back together and plug it into the truck for the heck of it, and presto, it works again for some reason. I take the brand new one and plug it into the truck again and presto it too now works again. I dont get it. Both times when the solenoids were not working when plugged into the truck, i ran jumper wires to them off the battery and they still did not work. Does the shaft inside the rubber boot have to be position a certian way, i would not think so but who knows. Now i dont know which one to trust, keep one in the truck i guess as back up.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It doesn't matter where the shaft is positioned.
If they both didn't work all the time when installed I'd think it was a wiring problem but since they didn't work with the jumpers you've got me.
That is unless you have bad wiring and a bad jumper too
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM

No, its not a bad jumper, i have a 12v power supply in my house that i hooked them up to and they did not work off that. I just tried it again now that they are both working and presto, they both work off of power supply now. I am very confused.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM

There is a wire that goes to the hot on your drivers battery, that powers the solenoid. I think it is blue. Lots of times they get corroded and lose their connection or fall off. Might want to check that.

It seems to me the solenoids are working, but something about the way you are jumping them and the wiring on your truck isnt right.