12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Excessive Oil out blow by tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Excessive Oil out blow by tube

While changing my lift pump out this past Monday I noticed that I have more than a ideal amount of oil dripping out of my blow by tube. Then my mother asks me about the several black spots in the gravel driveway today so I'm begining to wonder if something is wrong with my truck. The past couple of oil changes I've noticed my truck is using quite a bit of oil between changes. Also the front of my engine around the oil filler tube and below are really messy is there a gasket between the tube and timing case?

Also my stablizer shock gets oil covered very quickly if I hose it off so where should I look for leaks? Timing case? ???

The truck has 190K on it, what do you guys think the problem could be? I did a search and didn't come up with a whole lot.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 AM

Hey mark when you come up here next we can take a look..

Did you have your valves checked lately?

when you did your gsk did you make sure the seal on the pump cover where you access the spring did not come off? mine did and it leaked very little but aeverything was covered and you could always find a little oil on the ground.
DM01
Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 PM

I have the same leak. It scared the crap out of me when we did the KDP! PLEASE tell me you have your KDP taken care of! I will be watching this thread carefully, let me know if your find it.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:15 PM

Yes KDP has been taken care, probably almost 2 years ago now.

However after spending some quailty time with my truck, a pressure washer, and a bottle of simple green today I noticed a dampness behind the belt tensioner that is removed with Jig'n a KDP.

Not really much oil dripping on the front, but I included it anyways since I was asking the question already. My main concern is the excessive oil out the blow by tube.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Mark:

Heh, how are you doing??

It sounds to me like your 12 valve is about ready for a
rebuild!! I don't know if you know or not, but my 96'
is up at Scheid going through a rebuild right now! The
engine didn't fail or anything, but I was getting alot of
blow-by (much like you describe) and the engine was
beginning to use a little oil. I would suggest having a
compression check done on the engine. As I recall, the
readings should be around "400". My engine has a little
over 230,000 miles on it.

Scheid tore my engine down and surprisingly it looked
very good inside in spite of the fact of how hard I have
run that thing!!! You know how hard I ran it too!!!
They will not have to bore the block at all which is good
as the 12 valve blocks only have two bores after stock.

Anyway, good luck and take care.

----------
John_P
Old 02-27-2004, 01:03 AM

Don't tell me that John! I may have over estimated my blow by because I was telling a guy the other day about the situation as well as showing him my Scotty II and I grabbed the dipstick and said "watch this, I'll almost bet money its low!" oil level was perfectly fine, and the truck had been sitting for like 10 to 15 minutes while I had been eating my lunch. Go figure.

I am going to continue to monitor it very closely and see what's going on. As I noted I detected a damp area behind my belt tensioner, and at my oil fill tube after a pressure wash the other day so we will see.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Mark:

Sounds good!! Let me know how you make out.

Take care buddy!

---------
John_P
Old 02-27-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by John_P
Mark:

Heh, how are you doing??

It sounds to me like your 12 valve is about ready for a
rebuild!! I don't know if you know or not, but my 96'
is up at Scheid going through a rebuild right now! The
engine didn't fail or anything, but I was getting alot of
blow-by (much like you describe) and the engine was
beginning to use a little oil. I would suggest having a
compression check done on the engine. As I recall, the
readings should be around "400". My engine has a little
over 230,000 miles on it.

Scheid tore my engine down and surprisingly it looked
very good inside in spite of the fact of how hard I have
run that thing!!! You know how hard I ran it too!!!
They will not have to bore the block at all which is good
as the 12 valve blocks only have two bores after stock.

Anyway, good luck and take care.

----------
John_P

what'd the rings just wear down from excessive fuel or how did you get excessive blowby?

btw, as i have found out, playing with the plate too much wears out the AFC gasket pretty quickly, hence i'm chansing oil leaks myself
Old 02-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Administrator

98rammer:

Our guess is that the wear was most likely caused by
the excess heat (high EGT's). Even without this, "normal"
wear on "stock" engines with real high mileage also see
the eventual diesel "blow-by" and sometimes oil use.

---------
John_P
Old 02-28-2004, 07:35 AM

Re: Excessive Oil out blow by tube

Originally posted by Got Smoke?
While changing my lift pump out this past Monday I noticed that I have more than a ideal amount of oil dripping out of my blow by tube. Then my mother asks me about the several black spots in the gravel driveway today so I'm begining to wonder if something is wrong with my truck. The past couple of oil changes I've noticed my truck is using quite a bit of oil between changes. Also the front of my engine around the oil filler tube and below are really messy is there a gasket between the tube and timing case?

Also my stablizer shock gets oil covered very quickly if I hose it off so where should I look for leaks? Timing case? ???

The truck has 190K on it, what do you guys think the problem could be? I did a search and didn't come up with a whole lot.
Mark,
I left a conversion chart for you over on NWBombers. You can use it to determine if your blowby is high, or whether you simply have too much carry-over of liquid oil, a common complaint with "B"s. Also, I have an adapter and cylinder leakage tester to fit a B. You are welcome to use it. In all my checking for oil consumption problems over the yeaRS,
Old 02-28-2004, 07:36 AM

Re: Excessive Oil out blow by tube

Originally posted by Got Smoke?

Mark,
I left a conversion chart for you over on NWBombers. You can use it to determine if your blowby is high, or whether you simply have too much carry-over of liquid oil, a common complaint with "B"s. Also, I have an adapter and cylinder leakage tester to fit a B. You are welcome to use it. In all my checking for oil consumption problems over the years, I have found the cylinder leakage test superior to a compression test. PM me if you need more info/help.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While you are at it, take a good look at the front seal. Also bad seals in the vacuum pump will cause blowby. I would not tear down the engine for blowby unless there is really a lot.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:03 PM

OOOhhhh, I hate to talk about this. I changed a head gasket at 135K because of "excessive" blowby. Actually smelled oil in the cab at 60MPH with the windows down. To make a long story short, after replacing a perfectly good head gasket I still saw lots of smoke/vapor coming from the draft tube and even out of the filler neck when I opened it.

After stumbling across a post about this, I changed from Rosmella T to Delo 400. Smoke/vapor cut in half. Still getting IMO too much blowby, but the engine doesn't use much oil, doesn't drip in the driveway. Might have to check into that vacuum pump seal thing.....

What kind of oil are YOU using?

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil out blow by tube