12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

engine stalls just after startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
engine stalls just after startup

1997 5 speed 2500 2wd 350,000 miles
after letting the truck sit for a couple weeks and not using it,I started it up and immediately pulled it out of the barn and went to put it in the lot between the house and garage (about 200 feet from the barn)
As I was moving the truck up towrds the shop, it stalled out . I went and started it up and it ran perfectly since then.
Its only after I let the truck sit for awhile that it will do this to me.
Im hoping that the injector pump is not on it's way out. What are some of the things I can look at to alleviate this issue? Im thinking that im losing prime. Is there any areasI can look at that can be "the usual suspects???"
thanks DTR!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
air leak check all your fittings clamps and hoses also fuel heater and filter drain letting air in
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
air leak check all your fittings clamps and hoses also fuel heater and filter drain letting air in
I would think that when the motor is running, it would be spraying out from wherever the leak is. But....I asked, and you responded with a good suggestion. I will be needing the truck Friday. Ill snug up the fittings then and the next time I use it we will know.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if it stalls when you turn left, it could be your prefilter that´s come loose, mine did that, but only when I turned left don´t no why, but I tightened it and every thing works now.

Slev
Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would think that when the motor is running, it would be spraying out from wherever the leak is
About half the system is under suction, that's why it doesn't leak.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GCSS
I would think that when the motor is running, it would be spraying out from wherever the leak is. But....I asked, and you responded with a good suggestion. I will be needing the truck Friday. Ill snug up the fittings then and the next time I use it we will know.
Thanks for the tip!
It's likely air getting in somewhere. You're on the right track. Air can get in on the suction side of the pump - ie. anywhere from the lift pump backwards to the tank. If you have the stock fuel lines, there's about 9 places where air can get in.
On the pressure side of the pump, it will be a fuel leak. Only on the inlet/suction side can air get in.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:07 PM

I was looking around and found two bolts missing from the fuel plate cover. it was leaking some oil there. I got some new bolts in and snugged up. we have rain now and my shop is full. I have 3 cars in there now and can't get my truck in. So....I'll have to either wait till better weather, or I get one of these vehicles out.
Either way, Ill keep you guys apprised.
Thanks to all and All have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GCSS
I was looking around and found two bolts missing from the fuel plate cover. it was leaking some oil there. I got some new bolts in and snugged up. we have rain now and my shop is full. I have 3 cars in there now and can't get my truck in. So....I'll have to either wait till better weather, or I get one of these vehicles out.
Either way, Ill keep you guys apprised.
Thanks to all and All have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!
Fuel plate cover as in the AFC housing?

You have yourself a Merry Christmas too sir!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 9812vram
It's likely air getting in somewhere. You're on the right track. Air can get in on the suction side of the pump - ie. anywhere from the lift pump backwards to the tank. If you have the stock fuel lines, there's about 9 places where air can get in.
On the pressure side of the pump, it will be a fuel leak. Only on the inlet/suction side can air get in.
you can also have an air leak on the pressure side ,air will leak in were fuel wont leak out ,I chased a air leak for days before I found it ,it was the filter drain. Did not leak a drop of fuel but let it sit over night and it would let air in and fuel would drain back to the tank. even under pressure no fuel came out once I replaced the orings in it all has been fine
Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rebal
you can also have an air leak on the pressure side ,air will leak in were fuel wont leak out ,I chased a air leak for days before I found it ,it was the filter drain. Did not leak a drop of fuel but let it sit over night and it would let air in and fuel would drain back to the tank. even under pressure no fuel came out once I replaced the orings in it all has been fine
Ahhh yeah I got ya. Never come across that myself (yet) but I can see it happening.

Thanks, I stand corrected!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 9812vram
Ahhh yeah I got ya. Never come across that myself (yet) but I can see it happening.

Thanks, I stand corrected!
I have a feeling that my leak is going to be a buggeroo to find. it takes a couple days maybe even a week or two for it to show itself and ONLY if I ask the motor to work a bit over idle...like 1500 rpms or so... I start the truck and don't let it warm up...I wait like 5 seconds for the oil pressure to start rising and then go....it is a slight incline from the barn to the shop which is about 60-70 yards away....and I just go up the rise and about 1/2 way or so the motor will like want to die.and it will if I give it to much. It's hard to describe. Again.... if I start the motor and let it idle.....no stall. It will idle fine. it's only if I use too much fuel too soon where the "problem" presents itself.
Ill just go and snug stuff up..... and Ill change the fuel filter too. I have a feeling that's where it is. in the fuel filter housing....O ring ......
I talked to a buddy today...he has over 600K on his 95 and never had cracked open the motor. NEVER. same injector pump....the truck had a 48 foot trailer hooked up to it when purchased new and still has it attatched.
..........Tomorrow I will go and snug stuff up.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Have a good look at the rubber return hose that runs from the back of the injection pump, down the rear of the engine and leads to the steel return line above the bell housing. Changed many of those. They get cracked and weathered, end up leaking lots of fuel, but start out by letting in some air when they first start causing trouble.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Have a good look at the rubber return hose that runs from the back of the injection pump, down the rear of the engine and leads to the steel return line above the bell housing. Changed many of those. They get cracked and weathered, end up leaking lots of fuel, but start out by letting in some air when they first start causing trouble.
I know which line you are talking about... I had that replaced on one of my trucks... I've had ten of them so I don't remember if it was THIS truck that I had it fixed on. I will look at it though...Thanks!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
well... I loked...there are like two or maybe even three of them....not sure which one could be the culprit. Do you know?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

I'm thinking he means the one in red.
Attached Thumbnails engine stalls just after startup-12v-fuel-system.jpg  

Quick Reply: engine stalls just after startup