12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Diff, Transfer Case and tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff, Transfer Case and tranny fluid change

Hey everyone,
I'm going through taking care of maintainnace on my truck. Its got 185k on the clock, and it looks like (by the previous owners great notes) the last time the tranny, transfer case and both front and rear diffs were changes, was around 122k. I think its time to change them all again. I'm thinking about dropping some good money, and buying synthetic.

What does everyone recommend? Royal Purple and Amsoil seem to be recommended a lot.

I plan on doing this myself in the driveway. Any tips/things to look out for?

On the tranny, the filter is in the pan I believe. Should I go to cummins for that filter, or dodge or with Autozone work? Any particular brand for the tranny filter?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I use Royal Purple in the differentials.
Napa filter in the auto tranny with Dexron III ATF.
17 quarts of synthetic ATF isn't worth it in my book, but use RP in the transfer case.

Change on a level surface and fill the differentials to the recommended level,
3/4" below the fill hole in the front and 1/2" below in the rear.
Filling to the bottom of the hole guarantees an axle end leak sometime down the road.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:24 AM

I plan on doin the diffs on my truck tomorrow. any additive needed with the RP??
Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 AM

I had to use one half of a 8 oz bottle of friction modifier on mine but it varies with each rear end depending on clutch pack wear.
Start out with none, do some figure eights. If there is chatter in the turns add a quarter bottle at a time till the noise stops.
If you add too much your limited slip won't work.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Ok thanks. I only got the Dana 70 rear. i dont know if it has a limited slip or not.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BigGreen96
Ok thanks. I only got the Dana 70 rear. i dont know if it has a limited slip or not.
Open the hood and look up, there should be a tag with your truck's options.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Marty86
Hey everyone,
I'm going through taking care of maintainnace on my truck. Its got 185k on the clock, and it looks like (by the previous owners great notes) the last time the tranny, transfer case and both front and rear diffs were changes, was around 122k. I think its time to change them all again. I'm thinking about dropping some good money, and buying synthetic.

What does everyone recommend? Royal Purple and Amsoil seem to be recommended a lot.

I plan on doing this myself in the driveway. Any tips/things to look out for?

On the tranny, the filter is in the pan I believe. Should I go to cummins for that filter, or dodge or with Autozone work? Any particular brand for the tranny filter?

Thanks!
when you drain the fluid out of the tranny install a drain plug in the pan, you will not regret it the next time you change the fluid. the filter in the pan you can get at the dealer pretty cheap, when you change the gasket hopefully there is a reusable one on there, if not the dealer also has them. as for fluid its what you like. kind of like vodka, cheep stuff (regular ATF)works fine gets the job done, for some no problem next day, me bad hang over. so i choose top shelf the good stuff(synthetic ATF), really smooth, little to no side affects. GREAT for me, too expensive for some. the Doctors at the local detox hospital( tranny shop) say they all work good, make sure you use the proper stuff type 4 and you will be fine. its all what you're doing and what kind of maintenance you perform, some change every 75K miles. Some change ever year after hard pulling season, its all what you like. The better you maintenance understanding the longer things last.
Good luck .
Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 PM

I used Royal Purple 75w-90 in the differentials with 1/2 a bottle of friction modifier in the rear (available at Dodge, about $10/bottle). I used just regular oil in the tranny and t-case, synthetics aren't worth it imo. I got the tranny filter at Autozone, it was the non-cased, 3-hole version. Ironically, the Dodge dealer showed me their filter and it was the cased, 2-hole version. I decided to replace it with what I had in there before. To check the level of the oil for the differentials, I took a popsicle stick, bent it 90 degrees at the top and used that as a dipstick in the hole. Worked nicely.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Sorry if im kinda hyjakin the thread. I changed my rear diff fluid onthe truck. Dont look like a limited slip. My truck dont have a options tag on it ANYWHERE. but anyway i pulled the cover off and bolted to the ring gear was what looked like a tone ring for the ABS but im not sure. anyone know