12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Delivery valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery valves

I had someone tell me that you could modify the stock delivery valves to put out more fuel. How do you do this and how hard is it. I have modified a cam plate before and it worked great. <br>Thanks for the help<br>DM01
Old 03-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Delivery valves

I am no expert but I will relay the information given to me by a local injection pump shop.<br><br>I have a weak #1 delivery valve in my truck. I went to the local shop asking how hard it is to replace/modify these valves.<br><br>The story they gave me was that these valves need special tools/skills to replace/adjust.<br>They said that the valves can be thrown out of adjustment by just microns of an inch.<br>Now, if they were telling me that just so I would give them my business... or were they really telling in honest... I dont know.<br>Like I said, Im no expert.<br><br>If what they told me was correct, then I dont think getting into the delivery valves would be something to do without the proper tools and experience.<br><br>Someone please correct me if my info is wrong.<br><br>Rich.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 PM

dodgeman01<br><br>Give Piers a call as I am sure he can answer your questions and help keep you on the right track.<br><br>Doug
Old 03-10-2003, 08:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DM01,

You can remove and re-install delivery valves with little to no trouble at all. Make sure everything is perfectly clean and you have the socket designed to fit the delivery valve holder.
I use a pencil magnet to remove them from the barrel assembly. Make sure the pencil magnet does not have any small or tiny pieces of metal shavings or contaminates to get into the plunger and barrel area before you get started.
I make sure the entire injection pump is clean and blown dry before removing the injection lines and the DV holders.
Contaminates that you cant even see can roach a pump P&amp;B assembly.

Modification to the DV is not something I am a big fan of, but Im sure others on here will give you some pointers as to how it is done. Basically you will remove the retraction piston from the DV and this will increase the relief volume left in the line after the injection event has stopped and the DV is closing the P&amp;B off from the injection line.

ONe of the problems in doing this is the pressure remaining in the line can be higher than the pop pressure of the nozzle and this can lead to the nozzles needle bouncing in the seat and injecting small amounts of fuel at the wrong time or the pressure can be high enough to change the injection timing event on the next stroke of the plunger before port opening.
There are some dyno and seat of the pants reports of modified DV's giving additional power. Personally I have not done any testing with modified DV's.

Good Luck,

Don~

Old 03-12-2003, 01:50 AM

my d-valves took me from a 13.6@102 to a 13.1@ 105...by et thats 50hp by mph that 30hp...my mid and upper ranges are HUGE now.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:52 PM

oh what do you mean jake, all these people posted that cut dvalves were worth nothing at all <br>ps you can email me if anyone wants some of these
Old 03-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

I second that, these things have revolutionized the Delivery Valve industry...but don't get them if you like running your plate full forward and don't want to have Joe Donnelly style smoke effect WOT....these things billow the black out really bad...even with a BIG turbo. But Seat of the pants is MUCH more than the 191's...prolly 3 times as much