12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fuel solenoid has a hold coil and a pull coil that are both electrical seperate functions. Usually the pull coil will fail because its takes way more current to pull the plunger up then to hold it up. That's why sometimes you can grap the plunger and pull it up while someone cranks and it will start and then the hold coil will keep it running.

It's worth it to try cleaning the plunger and lubing it cause it cost $200 to replace. The other things that can go wrong are the fuel shutdown relay which is a 70 amp relay that provides the current to the fuel shutdown solenoid or the blue fusible link at the battery which supplies the 12v to the relay. These are the basic things to check but there is a connection to the starter that can cause trouble if the starter contacts fail stuck on and feedback 12v to the fuel solenoid and burn it up. Larry B makes a saver diode to prevent a stuck on starter from burning up the fuel solenoid but I don't believe this is a problem for you now.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:58 PM

You pull the solenoid from under it straight up. I have had no problem with the Calif fuel and have not heard any others complain. I'll PM you with my phone number.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey dave ill try it and if it doesnt work ill call tomorrow. thanks dave and everyone for the help. glad to see its the same type of guys over here on this forum as the 3rd gen guys. i appreciatte all your help.

thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 09:19 PM

What year is the truck...... if its a 12v its between 94-98. If you don't get me at home try my cell cause I may be out in the morning. I'll be local but may not be at home. Leave a message if I'm not available and I'll get back to you.

Not a bad idea to change the fuel filter as was suggested but its sounds like your problem is in the fuel solenoid. Easy to test when it fails by pulling up on the plunger while cranking. If it starts your pull circuit is flaky and more than likely you can release the plunger once its running and the hold coil will stay on.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't unless it gets into a fuel lift pump or delivery problem or leaky fuel lines or bad overflow valve. Your problem may be solved by cleaning the plunger. The voltages at the relay can be checked to see if its getting 12v if its not the solenoid.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 PM

Here's a pic of the fuel relay location and a schematic of the fuel solenoid circuit...all from Larry B's site:

http://www.fostertruck.com/
Attached Thumbnails cranks but wont start-relay%2520location.jpg   cranks but wont start-starter_curcuit_diagram.jpg  
Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 PM

I took some pics of the fuel shutdown solenoid on my 97. The last pic shows the fuel solenoid pulled up toward hood (thats what happens for starting when pull solenoid is engaged) and the pics before it show the solenoid in the down position when key is off. Once truck starts it should stay up if the HOLD circuit is working.

The end of the shaft on the solenoid has a round brass looking end that fits on a ball joint crank. Pull it toward fender to release it. I'm not sure if there is a cotter pin or some kinda keeper on it you have to release.

Once you get the fuel solenoid off (two bolts from on top hold it to the bracket) the grey boot is held on with a tie wrap at the top. Thats all that holds the solenoid plunger and spring on , I believe, so be carefull not to loose parts. I just used another tie wrap when done to hold it together.

Pull the plunger and spring out, clean the bore and plunger with brake cleaner and lube it with silicone lube (not WD40...it won't last) and put it back together. Hope this helps some.
Attached Thumbnails cranks but wont start-img_0177-pic-fuel-sol.jpg   cranks but wont start-img_0178-fuel-sol-brake-master.jpg   cranks but wont start-img_0180-fs-1.jpg   cranks but wont start-img_0181-fs-down.jpg   cranks but wont start-img_0186-fs-up.jpg