12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranks but wont start

Hey ive got a neighbor that just bought a 12 valve. hey drove it all day traveling back from somewhere where he bought it. anyways he stopped for fuel a ways before he got home and shut it off and it wouldnt start. he kept trying and it finally did then it ran fine. then he got home here to fuel station and did it again and not it wont start. it cranks over fine just kinda acting like it aint getting fuel. i beleieve it has some bigger sticks in it, banks high ram, and thats i all know. i dont know much about these but he called me and im about to go down and see if i can help. any thoughts... is the lp mechanical on the block? then to an injection pump where i can test both by pulling some lines off? need help asap
Old 02-17-2008, 07:35 PM

sounds like the fuel shutdown solenoid aint pulling all the way up, either the solenoid itself or the relay that controls it is bad
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM

any way to by pass this? just as a temp deal?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Pop the hood and manually open the solenoid when you need to start it...
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM

k again i am not very familiar with it so any pics where is it at? i have never tinkered with a 12 valve
Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a crank no-start a few months ago and I pulled up on the fuel solenoid while my wife cranked and it started. You could tie wrap it up till you can fix it. This is assuming the fuel relay is good...and it sounds like it is.

The fuel solenoid is about $200 and you can get it here:

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

There is good starting troubleshooting info on that site. The power to the relay goes thru a blue wire at the battery which is a fusible link and sometimes the connection is loose or corroded so check that. The link above sells the link, relay starter contacts etc and has a schematoc of the starting circuit.

I fixed my problem by removing the fuel solenoid and cleaning the plunger and oiling it with silicone lube. Haven't had it return jet for 2 months and mine was intermittant to. The plunger slids thur a sleeve and can get stuck if dirty or corroded espicially if the rubber boot is missing. You can buy the boot above too. See this pic:
Attached Thumbnails cranks but wont start-fuel-solenoid.jpg   cranks but wont start-boot2.jpg   cranks but wont start-fuselink.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 PM

hey dave where in the engine campartment is this selanoid?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Here is a copy of the Ram starting diagram:
Attached Thumbnails cranks but wont start-ram_wire_diagram.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 PM

dave i dunno if you say my ? where at is thsi selanoid?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM

It should be on the IP I would guess, look for a three wire harness (red, white, black) and follow it to the IP.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silver 002
hey dave where in the engine campartment is this selanoid?
I'll try to find a pic for you but for now lean over the drivers side fender and it is behind the brake master cylinder and between the master cylinder and the intake intercooler pipe. The boot is facing down and it is mounted to a bracket with 2 bolts easily seen if you look to left behind the master cylinder and the rear ones is hard to see but you can feel it. The plunger goes down and attaches to the linkage that you can feel if you put your hand down there. It is a area harder to see than feel but I put a drop light down there and used my wifes cosmetic flat mirror.

I'll look for a drawing or pic for you. Hang on.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM

For a drawing go to this site here:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/trouble..._solenoid.html

I did not bother checking these adjustments when I removed the solenoid but here they are.
Attached Thumbnails cranks but wont start-solenoid_adj1.jpg   cranks but wont start-solenoid_adj2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 08:21 PM

A diagram of the engine compartment and you'll find the fuel solenoid at this site:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/f...ocations-l.gif

Double click on any of the pics to enlarge it to get a better view. Sorry I have not found a good photo yet of the engine compartment. The fuel solenoid relay is on the firewall below the rubber hood pad. There are 2 relays next to each other. One is the fuel heater relay. Offhand I don't remember which is which.
Attached Thumbnails cranks but wont start-12ve_locations-l.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM

My truck did the same thing shortly after I bought it. Also, another friend at work had something similar. Both trucks sat for a short while (mine did it on another occasion after the first).

Check the shutoff solenoid, if it appears to work (should move up and lock into position when the key is turned to "ON"), I'd replace the fuel filter. Both the aforementioned trucks fired right up after they got a new filter and then the system got primed up (primer button below the filter canister).

Hope that helps.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM

hey dave i much appreciatte your help can i call you? i have a few questions. or here have you ever heard of a cali truck not run right on number 2 fuel? i know number 2 can gel but right now it should be ok its pretty warm out mine is running fine
also which way do u pull that selenoid?

Quick Reply: cranks but wont start